Mission or Goal of Unit:
The mission of the School of Nursing is to shape the future of
nursing through the power of education, discovery, and
Chief Purpose of this position:
VCU School of Nursing is seeking an Associate Dean for
Undergraduate Program and Department Chair (ADUPDC). The ADUPDC is
charged with administrative leadership and oversight of the
undergraduate nursing and the Department of Family and Community
Health in the School of Nursing. This position ensures academic
excellence and curriculum consistent with the mission and goals of
VCU SON and that programs are reflective of national trends, local
and regional needs, and professional standards. The Department
Chair’s responsibilities include oversight of faculty orientation,
faculty development and mentoring efforts, development of annual
faculty work plans and teaching assignments, and evaluation of
full-time and adjunct faculty for whom they supervise. This
position provides input regarding the hiring priorities of
full-time faculty and has the authorization to hire adjunct
faculty. The ADUPDC works closely with the Dean, Associate Dean for
Academic Affairs (ADAA), the Associate Dean for Research,
Scholarship and Innovation (ADRSI), the Associate Dean for Practice
and Community Engagement (ADPCE), and the Associate Dean for
Graduate Programs and Department Chair to support the academic,
research, service and practice missions and to facilitate
communication within the organization.
1. Supports diversity and inclusion and fosters a positive work
environment, interpersonal relationships and communication,
collaboration, and consensus-building within the department and
across the organization.
2. Establishes program- and department-related goals and
initiatives that support the overall mission of the school and
3. Provides guidance to program directors (PDs) to ensure academic
integrity and teaching excellence within programs.
4. Collaborates with the ADAA in preparation of internal and
external administrative reports.
5. Assists with the recruitment and retention of qualified and
diverse faculty and staff.
6. Leads organizational-level orientation for new faculty and staff
assigned to the department.
7. Develops annual faculty work plans (including teaching
assignments) for faculty within the department.
8. Evaluates staff, full-time faculty, part-time faculty, and
adjunct faculty within the department (with input from the ADRSI,
ADPCE, and PDs as appropriate).
9. Mentors department faculty and ensures opportunities for faculty
10. Addresses faculty, staff, and student issues within programs
and the department in alignment with university and school
11. Manages program and department resources.
12. Interfaces with external constituents (university or community)
13. Maintains personal academic faculty obligations in teaching,
research, and service in accordance with an area of expertise and
as negotiated by Dean.
– Senior faculty rank (Associate Professor or Professor)
– Currently licensed or eligible for licensure to practice nursing
– Earned doctorate in nursing or related discipline
– Teaching experience in nursing programs
– Demonstrated skills in communication, mentoring, and
– Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse
faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a
faculty member at VCU
– Tenured or tenure-eligible
– Academic administrative experience
– Sustained history of external funding for research and/or
Position Type: Teaching & Research Faculty
Full time equivalent: 100%
Tenure: Tenure Track
Department: School of Nursing
Contact Name: Demmie Pennix
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (804) 628-7583