Downtown District Office
City Colleges of Chicago (CCC), the largest community college
system in Illinois, is made up of seven colleges and five satellite
sites, providing more than 70,000 students each year access to a
quality, affordable education.
The Office of the Inspector General (OIG) is an independent office
within the City Colleges of Chicago (CCC) with the authority to
conduct investigations regarding waste, fraud and misconduct by any
officer, employee, member of the Board; any contractor,
subcontractor, consultant or agent providing or seeking to provide
goods or services to
CCC; and any program administered or funded by the District or
Recommendations made by the OIG as a result of its independent
investigations and audits serve to promote economy, efficiency,
effectiveness, and integrity in the administration of the
District’s programs and operations.
Under general supervision, an Investigator III conducts
investigations of a highly complex and sensitive nature involving
allegations of waste, fraud and misconduct by the District’s
officers, employees, members of the Board, agents and contractors,
as well as audits/ reviews of CCC programs and operations.
At the III level, Investigators function with minimal supervision,
are assigned the more complex and difficult cases, and may lead a
team of Investigators in large scale investigations or
audit/reviews as assigned. Perform related duties as
- Conducts investigations on assigned cases, typically of the
more complex or sensitive nature. Functions as a lead investigator
on large scale investigations, coordinating investigative
activities and directing a team of Investigators.
- Interviews complainants, witnesses and subjects to gather facts
during investigations and audit/ reviews. Conducts the more
difficult interviews (i.e. uncooperative interviewees) to gather,
verity, or corroborate evidence.
- Gathers evidence through site visits and surveillance; leads
Investigators in surveillance activities and other evidence
gathering activities as required
- Reviews and analyzes extensive data and records to determine
whether evidence of waste, fraud, misconduct or mismanagement
- Prepares detailed reports on actions taken during all phases of
an investigation or audit/review (i.e. document review, fact
finding analysis, interviews, surveillance).
- Uses photographic and video equipment in the conduct of
surveillance work to observe criminal activities or acts of
misconduct (e.g., fraud, residency violations).
- Maintains database of case records and reports on the status of
- Provides guidance and direction to less experienced
Investigators in the conduct of investigations, audit/reviews, and
- Assists in the training of entry level staff on investigative
standards, procedures and techniques.
- Testifies in criminal and civil court and at administrative
hearings regarding investigative findings.
- Travels throughout Chicago and surrounding areas. Works varying
hours as needed.
- Leads and conducts large scale audit/reviews, implementing work
plans to evaluate the effectiveness of internal controls in
protecting CCC’s resources, and assessing the compliance and
performance of programs, operations and processes.
- Combines accounting knowledge with investigative skills to
perform financial analysis and forensic auditing duties in support
of investigations involving fraud, misappropriation of assets, or
mismanagement of funds.
- Analyzes business and audit risks related to financial and
operational processes and systems.
- Performs quantitative and qualitative data analysis using
sophisticated technology tools and forensic audit techniques to
assess the effectiveness of audit controls and the efficiency of
- Investigates financial impropriety by conducting forensic
research to trace funds, and in-depth analysis of documents
including financial statements and accounting records.
- Conducts legal research and analyses of ethical and legal
implications, rules violated, and related legal issues and writes
sections of case summary reports.
- Participates in the preparation and drafting of summary reports
of completed investigations and audits to provide the Chancellor,
Board of Trustees, and executive staff with a case summation
including findings and recommended corrective actions.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in
Business Administration or Public Administration, Criminal Justice,
Accounting, Finance or a field related to a position’s specific
area of assignment.
- Some positions may require a Juris Doctor from an American Bar
Association (ABA) accredited law school
- Some positions may require three years of work experience in
conducting financial, fraud, and operational audits
- Three years of work experience in performing fact finding
analysis and investigative research and reporting
- Investigative work experience in an Inspector General’s Office,
law enforcement agency, or with a branch in the military is highly
- A combination of education and experience will be taken into
consideration based on the applicant’s credentials
- High ethical standards
- A valid State of Illinois driver’s license
- Designation as a Certified Inspector General (CIG), Certified
Inspector General Investigator (CIGI), a Certified Inspector
General Auditor (CIGA), Certified Fraud Specialist (CFS), or
comparable certification is highly desirable
- Demonstrated experience in conducting complex investigations
involving fraud, misconduct, and mismanagement
- Must be computer proficient with knowledge of a variety of
software programs, including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word,
We offer: excellent health and welfare benefit package and
long-term savings and investment programs including 403(b) &
457(b) Investment Plans and a pension plan with the State
University Retirement System (SURS) Plan. Generous vacation,
holiday, personal and sick days, and tuition reimbursement. For a
more detailed overview of benefits, please visit the benefits page
of our website.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6
months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Thank
you for your interest in City College of Chicago!