Ext Agent I - III
The Institute of Food and
is committed to creating an environment
that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including
ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. We
particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an
environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and
professional service. We strongly encourage historically
underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this
position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at
800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF
The Univ. of Florida (UF) is a Land Grant institution with core
values of unique purpose, excellence, integrity, collaboration and
partnership, lifelong learning, diversity, responsiveness,
innovation, communication, and global reach. IFAS employs more than
2,000 faculty and staff statewide. IFAS Extension employs 375
Extension Agents and has an office in each of Florida’s 67
Our mission in the Florida Cooperative Extension Service is to
partner with communities to provide quality, relevant education and
research-based expertise to foster healthy people, a healthy
environment, and a healthy economy. We are the resource that helps
educate Floridians to address issues related to agriculture,
horticulture, natural resources, youth development, families and
We hire the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We
are looking for candidates with both academic and people skills who
work well in teams, honor their commitments, innovate in a rapidly
changing world, and believe in inclusion and diversity. Working for
Florida Cooperative Extension will allow you to make a positive
impact in your community as you help shape future generations,
growing your career while earning a competitive salary and great
As a 4-H Extension Agent, you will work for UF/IFAS Extension and
Putnam County. We are looking for an individual that is
self-starting, energetic, and team-oriented whose educational
responsibilities include emphasis on positive development of youth
aged 5 to 18 through 4-H projects in agriculture plus the national
4-H priorities of civic engagement (leadership and citizenship),
healthy living, and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and
Mathematics). The right candidate will be able to manage a
volunteer system that supports the development and operation of
Putnam County 4-H. You will demonstrate excellent external and
internal customer service and will respond to client needs in a
timely and professional manner. Your office will be located at the
UF/IFAS Extension, Putnam County facility in East Palatka.
What you will do:
- Work as part of a team with local citizens, county/state
extension colleagues, agencies, and organizations that are
concerned with the needs and well-being of area youth.
- Develop, sustain, and monitor the effectiveness of a volunteer
system to staff the 4-H program including recruitment, volunteer
development, and evaluations/recognition in support of the
development and operation of the Putnam County 4-H program.
- Maintain and lead an effective and functional county 4-H
Association to guide program direction and represent community
- Deliver youth development programs through community clubs,
special interest clubs, school enrichment, day camping, and
competitive events. Promote residential 4-H camping programs.
- Manage all program components including policies, enrollments
and records, risk management, communications, and educational
- Use a needs assessment to target programs reflecting the
county’s population, diversity, and unique educational needs.
- Possess or develop an area of expertise to share across county
- Produce creative works (including presentations, posters,
website development, social media, and videos). Write
non-technical, people and reader-friendly publications, and
participate in professional societies.
- Seek and manage financial resources to support 4-H programming
and ensure all financial policies are followed as instructed by
UF/IFAS Extension guidelines.
- Cultivate relationships with businesses and community partners
who have an interest in supporting the youth development
- Follow all county, UF, and IFAS Extension policies regarding
civil rights/affirmative action, program development, and
- Ensure that all Florida 4-H youth protection policies are
adhered to including screening and training all 4-H
- Complete an annual plan of work and report of accomplishment
(including details describing your extension program).
- Occasionally assume other responsibilities that benefit the
total Extension program as assigned by the County Extension
Director and/or the District Extension Director.
Employment is contingent on the results of a national background
check and drug screening.
Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county
governments to provide scientific knowledge and expertise to the
public. As such, all partners are involved in the supervision of
the office and contribute to the salary and support resources. The
primary goal of Extension is to disseminate the latest knowledge
and applicable technologies in agriculture, human and natural
resources, and the life sciences in order to sustain and enhance
the quality of human life. The UF/IFAS mission is accomplished
through Extension faculty members, scientists, educators,
administrative staff, and volunteers working cohesively throughout
Florida’s 67 counties.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but
please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6
weeks after the position closing date. Are you a good match?
Commensurate with Education and Experience
What you will bring (required):
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in
youth development, education, community development/sociology,
non-profit leadership, agriculture, or a closely related field. We
will accept applicants without a bachelor’s degree if the degree
will be earned by May 2022. If hired solely with a bachelor’s
degree, we want you to advance your career by making at least 50%
progress towards obtaining your master’s degree within the first 6
years of employment.
- Strong oral and written interpersonal and communication
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and balance diverse
- A commitment to customer service and inclusion, diversity,
equity, and access (IDEA) guidelines of UF/IFAS Extension.
- Ability to possess (or be able to obtain) a Florida driver’s
- Flexibility with working hours; willingness to work irregular
hours, including evenings, weekends, and overnight travel.
What you will bring (preferred):
- A master’s degree.
- Experience creating educational curricula, developing
instructional materials, and applying teaching methods appropriate
for both youth and adults.
- Expertise in getting groups to work together to achieve a goal,
managing competing priorities, and adaptability to handle
- Experience working in multi-cultural settings.
- Experience in marketing, teaching, and evaluating educational
- Experience working with and managing volunteers.
- Experience using a variety of educational methods including
technology-enhanced and technology-based instruction to reach
- Experience obtaining extramural funding.
- Excellent organizational skills and good record-keeping
- A strong commitment to customer service.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Apply at https://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/en-us/job/519630
by 11:55 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date, and attach:
The following documents are also required
- Cover letter that describes how your experience and
qualifications have prepared you for this position
- Résumé or Curriculum vitae
- Unofficial copies of all transcripts (showing coursework) of
your academic degrees
and may either be
submitted through the above link at the time of application, or
sent separately to our office (below).
Reference rating forms and unofficial transcripts not submitted at
the time of application should be submitted/postmarked by the next
business day after the position’s closing date. They may be
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281
Fax: (352) 392-3226
Final candidate will be required to provide official transcript to
the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be
considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is
visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of
the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional
credentialing service provider approved by National Association of
Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), which can be found at
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution
dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and
The University of Florida is An Equal Employment Opportunity
Institution. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to
apply for this position, please call 352/392-2477 or the Florida
Relay System at 800/955-8771 (TDD). Hiring is contingent upon
eligibility to work in the US. Searches are conducted in accordance
with Florida's Sunshine Law.
Health Assessment Required: