Job Vacancy Announcement
Reference & Instruction Librarian Part Time
Library and Learning Resources
Full Time or Part Time
Hiring Salary Range
Salary Commensurate with Degree
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)
Regular or Temporary
Job Description Summary
Provides professional level service in a Community College Library.
Primarily reference and instruction in all learning environments
including face to face and remote. Assists with library programs
and development of projects.
- Master’s degree in library science from an ALA accredited
- Minimum of one year of paraprofessional or professional library
experience in an academic, research, or public library with
demonstrated proficiency in reference and instruction
CRITERIA : The following criteria, which are not the sole criteria
used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review the
applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum
qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be
interviewed. Other information and observations made during the
interview process may be considered in the selection process.
Please ensure that your application and attached documents
address the criteria listed below:
- Knowledge of library collection development and maintenance
- Knowledge of emerging technologies, chat reference, LMS, video
conferencing, and academic library trends
- Familiarity with current bibliographic tools in print and
digital format, as well as core references resources
- Ability to instruct and assist students in the use of library
resources, in diverse learning environments.
- Ability to communicate effectively, including strong listening
- Demonstrated initiative, resourcefulness, creativity,
flexibility, excellent teamwork, team leadership skills.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of library science as
applied to the operation of academic libraries
Is Background Check Required?
Is the incumbent responsible for working with minor children or
directly engaging with minor children on campus?
- Master’s degree in library/information science from an ALA
accredited program required.
- Unofficial transcripts must accompany application for library
faculty positions. Lack of transcripts may cause your application
to be rejected from further consideration.
- Documentation of experience and performance required.
Candidates will be asked to teach a sample 20-30 minute information
literacy lesson using one subject and one general database during
- Letters of reference must be job related and dated within the
past three years.
- Ability to effectively communicate in spoken and written
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Background Check Statement
Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a safe
campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record
check, education verification, and when appropriate, a financial
(credit) report or driving history check.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Prince George’s Community College values the safety of its
students, faculty, and staff. As part of that commitment, the
College has announced effective October 21, 2021, all students,
faculty, and staff must be vaccinated against COVID -19 or a valid
exemption and tested for the virus weekly. As a prospective or new
employee, you will be required to comply with this mandate and all
the necessary safety protocols, including wearing a mask. Please
direct your questions related to the vaccination, testing, mask
mandates, and requirements for exemptions to VMPO@pgcc.edu .
; you will receive an email
acknowledging receipt of your application, upon which time no
further communication occurs unless selected for an interview or
the position is filled. If recommended for hire, communication is
immediately sent to your references listed on your application.
Also, you will receive an email notification from HireRight
requesting you to submit authorization to complete a background
A teaching/information literacy demo is required.
Demonstration of proficiency with providing services via Zoom is
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following best describes your level of completed
education? (Education details must be included in your
- Master's Degree or above from an accredited
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college/university
- Associate's Degree from an accredited college/university
- One to two years of college credit (30 credit hours is
equivalent to one year)
- Less than 30 credits from an accredited college/university
- High School Diploma or GED
- None of the above
- * Please describe in detail the extent of your experience
working in an academic library providing face-to-face and virtual
reference services, searching electronic research databases and the
Internet, using Web 2.0 and other technologies, and print
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity? If you
selected 'Other' please indicate source:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- Certifications - See Minimum Qualifications for type