Costume Design Assistant - closes 02/11/2022, 11:59pm
San Joaquin Delta Community College District
To assist in the design and creation of costumes for various
theatrical productions; to train students in basic costuming
techniques; and to maintain, alter, repair and mend all
District-owned costumes and accessories used for theatrical
performances. SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from an assigned supervisor.
- Assist in the design and creation of costumes for various
theatrical productions; create new or adapt old patterns to portray
- Cut patterns and fabric for the creation of costumes; alter,
dye or paint previously used costumes for new productions.
- Assist in fitting actors and actresses in costumes for
performances; alter and hem costumes according to measurements
- Perform various milliner functions; design and create hats,
helmets, crowns and other decorative head dresses; design masks or
special costume pieces for productions.
- Shop for various supplies, materials and notions for costume
design and sewing purposes; travel to costume rental agencies,
fabric stores and other vendors for costume needs.
- Maintain all District-owned costumes, head pieces and
associated wardrobe accessories; launder or dry clean all costumes
prior to each production; mend or repair damaged costumes after
- Attend dress rehearsals and take notes on needed costume
alterations; gather costumes needed for rehearsal purposes; ensure
alterations are completed before performances.
- Oversee and train fine arts and drama students in the creation
and design of theatrical costumes for academic study; ensure
adherence to applicable safety regulations in the performance of
costume design functions.
- Organize dressing rooms and assign locks and lockers to actors
for each production.
- Design and coordinate costumes for various summer
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Methods and techniques of costume design, creation and
- Methods and techniques of sewing, millinery and tailoring.
- Characteristics of various fabrics and craft materials.
- Effects of combining various colors, fabrics, textures and
- Operational characteristics of various sewing machines and
- Basic aspects of theatrical performances.
- Basic mathematical principles.
- Pertinent Federal, State and local codes, laws and
Education and Experience Requirements
- Design, create and alter costumes for various theatrical
- Safely operate and maintain a variety of sewing machinery and
- Maintain and alter all District-owned costumes and wardrobe
- Ensure adherence to applicable rules and regulations.
- Train students in basic costuming techniques.
- Recommend the use of appropriate fabrics and materials for
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships..
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic,
socioeconomic, cultural, linguistic, ethnic backgrounds and
disabilities of community college students and staff.
- Walking and sitting for prolonged periods of time, operate a
sewing machine and dexterity for fine
Completion of the
twelfth grade or the equivalent supplemented by at least 12units in
technical theater or fashion design or related field, Associate's
degree preferred. Experience:
Two (2) years of
increasingly responsible experience in the design, creation, and
alteration of costumes for theatrical performance or two years
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an
appropriate, valid driver's license. Additional Information
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 3,822
- Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 4,698
- External Closing Date: Feb 12, 2022
- External Opening Date: Dec 16, 2021
Stockton, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and
apply on line at the following link: https://deltacollege.referrals.selectminds.com
The San Joaquin Delta Community College District provides access
to its education programs and activities and makes all employment
decisions without regard to national origin, religion, age, sex,
gender, gender identity, gender expression, race or ethnicity,
color, medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, sexual
orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability,
pregnancy, military and veteran status, or any other legally
protected category. The District’s prohibition against sex and
gender discrimination includes sexual harassment and sexual