A.T. Still University (ATSU) invites applications for a
grant-funded Behavioral Health & Wellness Counselor to promote
counseling services, advocate for student mental wellness,
coordinate student mental health activities with/for campus clubs
and Missouri AHEC affiliates, provide overflow counseling
assistance to residential students and significant life partners in
Kirksville, and provide local and national counseling resources for
off-campus students in Missouri training sites. This position
reports to the Director of Behavioral Health & Wellness and
works in cooperation with other departments on campus, especially
the Missouri AHEC Program Office. This position is grant-funded,
with CDC and Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services
support anticipated through May 31, 2023.
Major Job Duties
- Become a master trainer for the Mental Health First Aid program
and be responsible for training students and ATSU employees.
- Serve as a resource/expert for Missouri AHEC affiliates who are
trained to deliver Mental Health First Aid in rural and underserved
- Facilitate a regular series of mental health wellness programs
for the student body.
- Assist with the development/assembly of mental health &
wellness resources for use by off-campus ATSU students/AHEC
- Provide subject matter expertise, as needed, in the design of
interprofessional mental health cases/scenarios.
- Provide mental health support/counseling to residential,
on-campus ATSU students/partners.
- Provide information on obtaining community emergency mental
health services and/or mental health referral information to
students via print, in-person seminars, and electronic
- Assist off-campus/Missouri students to access resources for
mental health providers in their clinical training sites.
- Collaborate with the other Behavioral Health Wellness
Counselors to mutually plan, assess, and implement goals, projects,
resources and support programs.
- Provide regular metric reports on student use of services and
- Guarantee 100% confidentiality of student/spouse counseling
(exception where dictated by law or during threat of safety).
- Maintain complete and accurate confidential clinical counseling
- Participate on department/University committees as
- Ensure students are aware of counseling services via a variety
of interactions, publications, etc.
- Attend student sponsored events as possible to promote
- Masters Degree in Counseling, Clinical Social Work or
- Knowledge of the following areas:
- Clinical mental health knowledge and skills covering a full
range of mental health issues such as anxiety, depression, PTSD,
eating disorders, sexual/domestic violence, relationships,
survivors, and LGBTQIA Community
- Demonstrated experience in Higher Education Student
Affairs/Services (preferably in counseling, advising, mentoring,
- Experienced in presenting psycho-educational information to
groups of students/professionals (preferably in healthcare)
- Demonstrated experience/certification in evidence-based
- Support wellness programming to include multi-dimensional
perspective of wellness
- A passion for growing, developing and empowering students on
- Counseling/therapeutic knowledge and skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to lead and
- The ability to build and sustain effective collaboration with
university and community partners
- An ability to quickly assess and problem-solve in complex
situations through effective listening, consultation, data analysis
and critical thinking skills
- Strong assessment and analytical skills and a track record of
- Leadership and organization skills to be able to work on
various multidisciplinary teams/committees
- Ability to represent the university in an ambassadorial
- Innovative team worker that engages well with others
- Understanding of osteopathic philosophies and ability to
integrate this into efforts
- Ability to work with a variety of religious and cultural
backgrounds and gender identities
The starting salary for this position is $57,040.00.
ATSU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical,
dental, and vision coverages, among more. If eligible,
employee-elected benefits would begin the first of the month
following hire date. For more information, please visit: atsu.edu/employment/benefits