Under direction of assigned manager, performs a variety of
technical and operational duties in support of CIS and DES
laboratory programs and activities; sets up equipment for lab
experiences; and maintains lab equipment, facilities, and
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES -
The following duties are typical for this classification.
Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be
required to perform additional or different duties from those set
forth below to address business needs and changing business
- Assists in safety and security procedures in classroom and
laboratory; inspects equipment and tools for hazards and takes
prompt action to prevent injury or other damage; locks/unlocks
department doors, as needed to maintain departmental operational
- Maintains inventories; assesses material, equipment, parts, and
supply needs; determines cost and availability of departmental
parts, supplies, and equipment as well as reliability, quality,
safety, and compatibility of parts and supplies; coordinates with
appropriate Purchasing Office staff member(s) as necessary;
prepares requisitions to order equipment and maintain departmental
- Maintains departmental records including records of purchases,
warranties and licenses, student and/or other temporary help, and
- Assists instructors, students, and staff; assists instructors
with classroom preparation and equipment set-up; issues and
collects tools, equipment, kits, and other materials; may assemble
and package project kits.
- Regularly works with IIT and AV, reporting problems in the
computer labs and classrooms, documenting them, and fixing minor
issues. Performs preventative and operational maintenance and makes
minor repairs on a variety of departmental tools and equipment;
inspects, repairs, and cleans equipment to ensure safety and proper
- Participates in the preparation and maintenance of assigned
budgets including grant budgets.
- Assists in planning activities to meet future needs and changes
in departmental programs and activities; may assist dean,
department chair, and administrative assistants with the
development of class schedules, class offerings, instructor
availability, and room assignments for various locations.
- Picks-up and delivers equipment, parts, supplies, and other
materials to various sites and locations.
- Oversees student assistants and other temporary work forces;
provides orientation and training to new student/temporary
employees; assigns projects and daily work; evaluates work
performed, approve time sheets.
- Sets up and schedules student lab usage and manages check out
and check in of specialized lab equipment.
- Performs a variety of general clerical and administrative
duties in support of department operations and services; responds
to requests for information regarding departmental programs and
activities and/or refers to appropriate staff member(s) or
organizational unit(s) for further assistance; photocopies
materials and/or completes departmental orders for printing
- Exhibits proficiency in CAD in order to assist students with
AutoCAD drawings, technical design documentation, engineering
specifications and procedures, supply technical support for a
variety of CAD software, maintain CAD document archive and
retrieval for projects, and configuring and customizing CAD
- Performs related duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS - The following
generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the
job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to
successfully perform the assigned duties.
- Office procedures, methods, and equipment including applicable
computer hardware and software applications such as word
processing, desktop publishing, and database management.
- Operational characteristics of laboratory apparatus, equipment,
and materials pertaining to assigned laboratory and subject
- Basic budgeting and bookkeeping concepts and techniques.
- Basic inventory and purchasing processes and procedures.
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices including
methods and techniques used in handling and disposing of hazardous
- Perform general technical and operational duties in support of
the CIS and DES classrooms and labs.
- Carry out the responsibilities of the position including set up
of laboratory assignments, and student projects.
- Promote safe working practices to students and others.
- Operate, calibrate, and perform minor troubleshooting and
repair of laboratory and office equipment tools, including 3D
printers and large format inkjet printer.
- Maintain the lab and equipment in a safe and organized
- Read and understand technical manuals and protocols.
- Assist students in the use of lab equipment and lab
- Listen actively and effectively, identify and solve problems,
and facilitate problem solving.
- Operate office equipment including computers and supporting
word processing, database management, and desktop publishing
applications as well as specialized software
packages/applications for printed circuit board design.
- Maintain CAD Software and Hardware inventory
- Work closely with CAD application vendors to
- Provide technical assistance on advanced CAD features
- Provide CAD software maintenance – updates, service paks
- Assist in producing, editing, cataloging supplemental CAD LAB
- Adapt to changing technologies and learn functionality of new
equipment and systems.
- Perform general clerical tasks.
- Train and supervise student and/or other temporary help.
- Work independently and collaboratively.
- Plan and organize work to meet changing priorities and
- Perform routine record keeping and report writing duties.
- Learn and apply applicable federal, state, and local laws,
codes, and regulations as well as administrative and departmental
policies and procedures.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with
those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience Guidelines
- Any combination of education and experience
that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is
qualifying. Examples of ways to obtain the knowledge and abilities
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade supplemented
by college level coursework or specialized training in IT and/or AV
or a closely related field.
One year of experience in education support environment.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- The conditions herein are representative of
those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential job functions.
Environment: Work is
performed primarily indoors in a classroom/laboratory setting;
exposure to dusts, work with laboratory equipment and apparatus.
Moderate exposure to risks controlled by safety precautions.
functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work
in an education center/classroom/laboratory and office setting; to
stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally walk,
stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push,
and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate
laboratory and office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement
and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; to
verbally communicate to exchange information.
Vision: See in the
normal visual range with or without correction; vision sufficient
to read computer screens and printed documents; and to operate
Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range
with or without correction.