Director, Center for Teaching, Learning, &
Thomas More University invites applications for a founding
Director of the Center for Teaching, Learning, &
The Center will develop, manage, and sustain programs
to support faculty and staff development for excellence in teaching
and achievement in scholarship. The Center’s programs include
pedagogical workshops, faculty- and staff-led seminars on teaching
and scholarship, individual consultations with faculty and staff,
the establishment of a library of electronic and print resources,
and promotion of faculty and staff involvement in services such as
advising and student support.
This is a twelve-month administrative/staff appointment for an
individual who will also carry teaching responsibilities. Ph.D. in
a discipline offered by the University is required; in
consultation with the Provost, the Director will undertake 9
credits of teaching each academic year in a combination of FYE
sections (6 credits) and a course in their discipline. Reporting to
the Provost, the appointee will serve on the Provost’s Leadership
Team and collaborate with Deans and faculty in the University’s
- Provide leadership that champions and facilitates outstanding
teaching, learning, service, scholarship, and co-curricular support
by academic staff in alignment with Thomas More’s mission and
identity as a Catholic Liberal Arts University.
- Chair an Advisory Council comprised of faculty and
staff/academic leaders who will assist in guiding the operations
and activities of the Center.
- Assist in the promotion of the Center and its
activities on campus and to the community.
- Coordinate and supervise daily and ongoing activities in the
Center, including oversight of an administrative
assistant, instructional designers, and a grants
- Facilitate and promote classroom, laboratory, service
learning, and scholarly innovation.
- Administer educational mini-grants and other professional
opportunities (including the procurement of grants by individuals
or the University).
- Develop and implement workshops and consultations to enhance
teaching and learning effectiveness for faculty and staff.
- Contribute to fund raising efforts for the Center by liaising
with the Office of Advancement.
- Work with Department Chairs and the Chair of Faculty
Development to coordinate and facilitate a mentoring program for
new faculty members.
- Organize and hold forums for discussions on curriculum,
student learning, and assessment of teaching.
- Organize, schedule, and host nationally-recognized guest
speakers who can promote pedagogical and scholarly innovation.
- Assist in implementing and evaluating educational technologies
such as Canvas LMS that enhance student engagement for all
modalities of learning.
- Assist in strengthening a culture of engaged teaching and the
cultivation of community partnerships.
The successful candidate will be a teacher-scholar with a strong
teaching record at the university level and experience in, as well
as a passion for, supporting faculty to develop as teacher-scholars
and staff to develop as educators in support of teaching and
We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
- Ph.D. in a discipline offered at Thomas More University from a
regionally accredited university
- Experience in leading faculty and staff development
- Experience managing staff
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to delegate
- Strong organizational and collaborative skills
- Promise as an enterprising leader who works across programs and
- Oversight of or grant writing and maintenance experience
- A record of accomplishment and interest in promoting activities
of the Center through research and publications that enhance the
reach and reputation of Thomas More University
Thomas More University aspires to be a community that welcomes,
celebrates, and promotes respect for all. Driven by the
University’s mission, we challenge every member of our community to
understand and act in ways that demonstrate their responsibility to
others. See here for the University’s Statement on Diversity:
Please submit, in electronic format, a letter of interest which
speaks to your interest in the role and relevant expertise, the
names and contact details of three professional references, and a
curriculum vita to Laura Custer, Director of HR, at