A.T. Still University's Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
(ATSU-ASDOH) invites applications for an Assistant Professor,
Preclinic/Clinic - General Dentist on the Mesa, Arizona campus. The
assistant professor will conduct teaching, patient care, scholarly
and service activities in support of the mission, goals and
objectives of the School and University with primary responsibility
to facilitate the students’ preclinical and clinical experience
from foundational knowledge and clinical skills to demonstrating
competency in patient-centered care that integrates biomedical,
behavioral and clinical sciences.
Major Job Duties:
- General – promote an atmosphere of respect, collegiality,
commitment to diversity and social justice, and humanistic learning
- General – conduct teaching, scholarship, service and patient
care in support of the mission and goals of ASDOH and ATSU.
- Teaching – preclinical and clinical supervision as a general
dentist in the Simulation Lab, CCUs or other ASDOH clinics;
effectively carry out lecture, seminar, preclinical and clinical
assignments as assigned, with a focus on Operative Dentistry,
Dental Materials and Dental Anatomy.
- Service – Participate in committees, faculty governance,
professional societies and associations, and community
- Scholarship - As workload allows, establish and maintain
activity in area of expertise.
- PreClinical and Clinical Supervision: Provide supervision of
predoctoral dental students in simulation and patient care
activities within the scope of general dentistry with a focus on
- Primary responsibility to oversee the development,
implementation, revision and assessment of curriculum integrating
operative dentistry, dental materials and dental anatomy with other
predoctoral curriculum, including digital dentistry-CAD/CAM,
prosthodontics, periodontics & Oral Diagnosis/Treatment
- Documentation: Complete documentation on student
performance/progress towards competency; review and approve EHR
documentation in clinic and simulation lab.
- Coordinate with responsible Administrators & Asst/Assoc
Deans in Clinic and Simulation Lab to establish protocols related
to curriculum responsibility areas; enforce clinic policy including
infection control, QI, risk management, recordkeeping, etc &
- Provide direct patient care that supports community service,
efficient clinic operations, student education, or when in the best
interest of the patient (e.g: treatment is too complex for assigned
- Instruct students in the simulation lab and clinic as assigned;
be readily available to students for mentoring and consultation;
collaborate with Course Directors on assessment of student
- Effectively carry out lecture, seminar and clinical assignments
and responsibilities as assigned, including appropriate student
assessment and documentation.
- Faculty development, training, and calibration related to
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- DMD or DDS degree from an institution accredited by American
Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) and/or
completion of an advanced education program from an institution
accredited by the CODA.
- Knowledge of contemporary techniques and skills in the scope of
clinical general dentistry.
- At least three years’ experience in private practice or
advanced graduate training as a general dentist or
- Preferred: Eligibility for dental licensure in Arizona; use of
multiple CAD/CAM systems including CEREC; experience in academics,
clinical research and private practice desirable.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Must be able to be self-directed and take the initiative.
- Must be highly skilled in clinical general dentistry.
- Diplomacy a must. Individual must be organized. Good
communication skills. Adaptable and motivated. Able to work
- Team oriented, strong mentoring, and personable.