Under the general guidance of the AVP, Finance – Planning &
Budgeting, the Controller is responsible for
overseeing all accounting activities of the university including
financial compliance, financial reporting, accounting
controls and procedures, year-end audit, payroll, and cash
management. The Controller leverages industry
knowledge and best practices to promote the mission and vision of
the Finance & Accounting department and the
institution. Supports culture development and management
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related discipline
- Minimum seven (7) years’ experience required. Prior Controller
and higher education experience preferred.
Certifications/Licenses: Certified Public
Accountant (CPA) preferred.
- Knowledge of GAAP and Canadian accounting processes and
- Proficient and functional knowledge of ERP and Datatel’s
Colleague ERP system
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with a proven
ability to work with numbers and financial data
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage multiple
- Proficient and functional knowledge of federal and state
- Ability to handle and manage confidential information
- Ability to consistently identify opportunities for improvement
and make recommendations based on
- Strong demonstration of alignment with Adler’s social justice
mission and vision
- Strong critical thinking, problem-solving and visioning
- Ability to proactively identify challenges and barriers to
stated objective and employ assistance in addressing
- Strong collaboration acumen and abilities
- Demonstration of Emotional Intelligence and professional
- Proficient and functional knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Strong research acumen and abilities
- Strong communication acumen including written, oral, and
Supervision (if applicable): TBD
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Publishes monthly and annual financial statements in a timely
- Oversees all accounting transactions and ensure compliance with
- Coordinates and oversees annual audit performed by independent,
external auditors; ensures the accurate and
timely documenting of audit outcomes
- Coordinates and executes various required internal audits
including, but not limited to 403b, financial,
- Produces routine and ad hoc reports
- Oversees accurate and timely cash flow projections
- Directs payables and receivables processes
- Consistently identifies methods to automate and improve
existing accounting processes
- Completes bank reconciliations
- Under the direction of the AVP and in collaboration with the
Financial Analyst, analyzes budget variances
- Calculates and issues financial and operating metrics
- Ensures the maintenance of Adler’s accounting filing
- Maintains the chart of accounts
- Other duties as assigned and/or required
Work Environment (Physical Demands): The usual
and customary methods of performing the job's functions
require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying,
pushing, and/or pulling and significant fine finger
dexterity. Generally, the job requires 80% sitting, 10% walking,
and 10% standing. This job is performed in a
generally clean and healthy environment.
Universal Core Behaviors:
- Effectively expresses oneself in all oral and written
- Exhibits good listening and comprehension skills.
- Keeps others informed, as well as responds, in a timely
- Demonstrates match between words and actions.
- Responds with tact, diplomacy, respect, and composure when
dealing with others.
- Promotes the spirit and essence of the School’s Vision,
Mission, Values and Key Strategies through both
verbal and written communication.
Teamwork and Collaboration:
- Cooperates with others toward the achievement of common
- Seeks consensus and win-win solutions to problems and
- Contributes actively and participates fully in team
- Puts the success of the team above own interests.
- Builds and maintains constructive work relationships.
Responsive to Change:
- Supports changes in the work environment.
- Displays a proactive, problem-solving approach toward
- Committed to life-long learning by continuously increasing
skills, knowledge, and effectiveness.
- Actively seeks and initiates creative and innovative
- Exercises sound, accurate, and informed independent judgment
Quality-Driven and Accountable:
- Results-oriented and committed to quality through continuous
- Eliminates ineffective activities and closes performance
- Anticipates and responds to customer needs.
- Monitors own performance, accept responsibility for actions,
and actively seeks feedback.
- Meets deadlines and completes projects and activities in a
professional, timely manner.
- Seeks opportunities to increase productivity and/or reduce
costs while maintaining the highest quality
standards (fiscally responsible).
Support of Vision, Mission, Values, Key
- Supports and models the School’s Values of social interest,
compassion, justice, respect for the individual,
honors diversity and difference, intellectual rigor, optimism, and
- Articulates the School’s Vision, Mission, and Key Strategies in
a way to educate others.
- Demonstrates active commitment in advancing the School’s
Vision, Mission, and Key Strategies.
- Exhibits personal integrity, honesty, zeal, and
- Aligns work processes to advance the School’s strategic plan
and key strategies.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of Adler University that all persons are
entitled to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) protection.
The University does not discriminate against any
individual for employment because of age, religion, race, color,
gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national
origin, ancestry, marital status, physical or mental disability,
military status (including unfavorable discharge from
the military), or any other category protected by federal, state,
or local law.
As part of Adler's equal employment opportunity policy,
Adler will also take affirmative action to ensure that
minority group individuals, females, disabled
veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans,
Armed Forces service medal veterans and qualified
disabled persons are introduced into our workforce and considered
for promotional opportunities.