About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where
thousands begin or continue their college or career studies.
Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more
than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life
for everyone who enters its doors.
The Learning Center recruits professional tutors year-round to
create a schedule of offerings for fall, spring, and summer terms
at the Des Plaines and Skokie campuses of Oakton Community
Tutors may be needed to provide assistance in a variety of
subjects, disciplines, and/or courses. Typical areas of need
usually include the following:
- General and engineering-based physics
- Developmental mathematics tutoring in a classroom
- Applicants who can tutor multiple subject areas are highly
- Accounting tutors: Master's degree in accounting required or
equivalent experience. Mastery of college level Intermediate
Accounting I & II, Cost Accounting, tax, and QuickBooks
- Chemistry tutors: 45+ earned college credits, with completed
coursework up to college-level inorganic and/or organic
- Developmental mathematics tutors: 45+ earned college credits,
with completed coursework in college-level algebra and geometry.
Education and/or special education background desirable. Experience
with online learning software such as Pearson's MyMathLab
- Mathematics tutors: 45+ earned college credits, with completed
coursework up to and including Calculus II, II, and III. Ordinary
Differential Equations expertise a plus. Statistics and/or
Probability courses desirable. Experience with online learning
software such as Pearson's MyMathLab desired.
- Physics tutors: 45+ earned college credits, with completed
coursework up to and including college-level and engineering
(Calculus) based physics.
- Writing tutors: Master's degree in English required or
equivalent experience teaching high school English classes. Minimum
two years of experience working with community college students
ranging from developmental English to college level English skills.
ESL background or TESOL certification desirable.
- Experience working with students or adults of various learning
levels a plus.
General Job Description:
- Provide tutor assistance for course work in approved subject(s)
in a professional manner.
- Provide open lab, classroom, and/or appointment-based tutoring
to Oakton students on a fair and equitable basis.
- Use constructivist strategies to assist students in overcoming
content-specific and general learning strategies.
- Report behavioral issues and/or incidents of academic
dishonesty to supervisor and/or instructor.
- Submit time sheets according to the established schedule.
- Maintain student tutoring records to help facilitate
communication between Learning Center staff members and
- Maintain strict confidence about student-tutor sessions both
during and after your employment with us. This is in accordance
with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Assist in the marketing of Learning Center tutoring.
- Participate in tutor training and staff development
Applicants must submit the following:
- Cover letter addressing your area(s) of expertise and interest
in tutoring, as well as your available work hours and campus of
- Unofficial transcripts
- Current resume
- References and/or a letter of recommendation
Oakton is accessible by public transportation.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative
action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified
individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the
basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability,
age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or
gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and
participation in its educational programs, college activities and
services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without
notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are