The Associate Director of Alumni and Parent Engagement will
report to the Director of Alumni and Parent Engagement and will
work closely with volunteers, as well as with team members within
Institutional Advancement. The Associate Director will work closely
with other volunteer managers and the Campaign team, to educate,
organize, empower and align volunteers in support of Oxy’s Campaign
goals. The Associate Director will also be directly responsible for
the program strategy and implementation of Alumni Reunion Weekend,
and serve as the primary point person for class planning committee
management. This position will provide coordination and support for
established affinity programs, and lead the development of new
Reunion Planning (45%)
- Oversee program strategy, development, and implementation for
Oxy’s Alumni Reunion Weekend, including volunteer recruitment and
class planning committee management.
- Coordinate with Engagement Communications to develop an
outreach strategy that will create a sense of excitement and appeal
to broad cross sections of the alumni community.
- Develop a program strategy that identifies key campus and
community initiatives and achievements and highlights them in the
lead up to and over the course of Reunion Weekend.
- Work closely with Oxy Fund staff to coordinate efforts around
Reunion Planning and Reunion Giving committees and develop a deep
understanding of fundraising goals and initiatives related to the
Reunion Employ survey technology and track metrics to determine
effectiveness of outreach and program strategies, and measure
success. Prepare and distribute reports to volunteer leaders and
senior staff on program impact.
Volunteer Program Management (50%)
- Work directly with and support the efforts of Oxy’s alumni
affinity organizations and Fifty Year Club.
- The Associate Director will partner with colleagues to
identify, recruit, and train volunteers.
- In coordination with volunteer groups, develop annual plans and
a slate of programs that achieve each organizations’ goals and
deepen connections with the College.
- Manage affinity event implementation and, in collaboration with
Oxy Fund colleagues, coordinate programs and activities that
support affinity group fundraising goals.
- Provide quarterly financial documents on affinity organization
- Manage the development and establishment of new groups, with a
focus on those that advance Campaign and Institutional
- Collaborate in the development of event strategies and
implementation for Homecoming, Family Orientation and other key
alumni and parent engagement events.
- Provide staff support for the Alumni Board of Governors
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated success in work organization, project and time
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends and travel.
- Knowledge of modern data management practices and techniques
including data-based computerized information systems, data
modeling, and models of analysis that leads to effective decision
making on behalf of the program.
- An appreciation for and understanding of the value of a liberal
arts education, with specific understanding of Occidental
- Ability to effectively communicate the value, message and brand
of Occidental College.
- A demonstrated excitement and interest in building and
coordinating regional communities and key groups of alumni, parent
and student volunteers.
- Personal proactive initiative and an ability to manage projects
simultaneously, to set priorities and follow-through on
- Proven ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
on a team, strong writing, revising, editing and proofreading
skills, and the ability to maintain a high standard of accuracy and
quality under pressure of deadline and with a high level of
- Demonstrated ability to effectively motivate, train and support
colleagues and volunteers.
- Ability to set collaborative goals and to see projects to
completion in reflection of goals.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment – with a mix
of deans, faculty, alumni, parents, students and staff. Excellent
interpersonal skills and a strong customer service
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining how your
qualifications meet the requirements of the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not
unlawfully discriminate against employees or applicants on the
basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, gender expression, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related
medical condition, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age,
marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical
condition, genetic characteristic or information, military and
veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or
federal law. Occidental is strongly committed to increasing the
diversity of the campus community and the curriculum, and to
fostering an inclusive, equitable, and just environment within
which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive.
Candidates who can contribute to this goal through their work are
encouraged to identify their strengths and experiences in this
area. Individuals advancing the College’s strategic equity and
justice goals and those from groups that are underrepresented in
the field are particularly encouraged to apply.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. A
comprehensive benefits package is available that includes excellent
health, dental, life, and retirement benefits; tuition benefits for
the employee, spouse, domestic partner, and dependents; additional
extras including use of gym facilities and the College Library. For
a detailed description of benefits, please visit https: //www.oxy.edu/offices-services/humanresources/benefits-information.
All qualified applicants will be considered for employment,
including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent
with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including
the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring
Occidental College is committed to working with and providing
reasonable accommodations to applicants with qualifying
disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a
disability for any part of the application or employment process,
please contact Human Resources (email@example.com).
As a condition of hire for a staff position and for appointment
to a faculty position, Occidental College requires that all
candidates who have received a conditional offer of employment
complete an application form (if they have not already done so) and
consent to a background check. Satisfactory completion of a
background check, along with pre-employment verifications and
references are required as a condition of employment, but only as
permitted by federal, state, and local law, including the City of
Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.