West Virginia University Health Science Center is currently
accepting applications for an Associate Director for Health
Analytics (Hybrid) with the Office of Health Affairs
About the Opportunity
The Associate Director for Health Analytics specializing in
Medicaid Claims data research is a key leader in the
State-University partnership between the West Virginia University
Office of Health Affairs and the West Virginia Department for
Health and Human Resources (WV DHHR).
This position will hold a working title of Associate Director of
Health Analytics. Overarching responsibilities include the
implementation and management of a Medicaid Claims data science
program to assist faculty and staff at Office of Health Affairs in
planning research and evaluation studies using Medicaid claims and
other state data sources. Supporting the role of the Director of
Health Analytics, this position will also be responsible for
collaborating with the WV DHHR and other partners to leverage data
resources and support research and evaluation analytic needs,
participating in interdisciplinary research and evaluation teams,
providing supervision to other health data analysts, and leading an
established Medicaid Claims data analysis training program. The
Associate Director is expected to identify training needs for
research associates and health data analysts and develop trainings
as required with the guidance of the Director of Health Analytics.
The Associate Director must have experience leading analytic method
development for research and evaluation, working with
multidisciplinary team members and have a demonstrated history of
contribution to the science field through publishing, as well as
hold a terminal degree. Ideal candidates will have experience and
knowledge working with Medicaid claims data, relational data,
and/or all-payer claims databases. Line level understanding and
experience of Medicaid claims data is preferred. The ideal
candidate has a team-oriented attitude and has experience teaching
or training others in the field of health data analytics.
OHA frequently engages in collaborative efforts with West
Virginia’s Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR), other
state agencies, hospital systems and nonprofits throughout West
Virginia. Ideal candidates will have work experience that aligns
with the mission of DHHR’s Bureau for Medical Services, Bureau for
Children and Families, Bureau for Behavioral Health, Bureau for
Children and Families and the Bureau for Public Health.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for
things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits,
• 13 paid holidays ( staff holiday calendar
• 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
• 18 sick days per year
(for when you’re ill, for when you need time to care for sick
family, for your own, or your family’s, regularly scheduled medical
appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of
people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as
well as others considered to be members of your household living
under the same roof)
• WVU offers a range of health
insurance and other benefits
(this position is a
benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
• 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match,
eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks.
Looking for more retirement
? Check out retirement health insurance
benefits, retirement income, and FAQ’s.
• Wellness programs
What you’ll do:
• Participates on OHA’s leadership team to advance WVU’s state,
federal and community partnerships.
• Serves as a second-in-command to the Director of Health Data
• Implements and administers OHA’s established Medicaid claims data
science training program.
• Identify new training needs and develop training modules as
required with the guidance of the Director of Health
• Supervises health data analysts within OHA and ensures adherence
to the OHA’s standardized procedures and processes, and assures
good data governance.
• Supports OHA leadership in the development of statements of work
for our partners, ensuring adequate health data analytic support is
incorporated into contracts when needed.
• Provides consultation to faculty, government and community
partners regarding preparation of research proposals, design and
methodology, data analytics and interpretation of results.
• Provide training and education in the planning of research and
evaluation studies using analysis of Medicaid claims data.
• Serves as a University representative and liaison to the West
Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources for the planning
and performance of projects, programs and activities involving
health data analytics and program evaluation.
• Oversees research and/or evaluation analytic methods
documentation for all work products.
• Leads the development of research associate and health analyst
training modules for new data sources that Health Affairs will
manage in the future (ex. All-payer Claims Data Base).
• Overseas the management and manipulation of large, complex, and
uncleaned data sets and databases.
• Ensures data integrity and comparability.
• Supports data governance and data stewardship for the West
Virginia University Office of Health Affairs.
• Work as part of a team to advance the partnership between the
West Virginia University Health Sciences Center and the West
Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.
• Oversees and conduct analyses of Medicaid claims data and other
state data sources at the direction of the Director of Health Data
Analytics within the Office of Health Affairs or Department for
Health and Human Resources.
• Support both West Virginia University faculty as well as
leadership within the Department for Health and Human Resources in
using Medicaid claims data as well as other state data sources to
answer research questions of interest to the state.
• Ensures that data analytic and research/evaluation activities are
compliant with University-level policies for the responsible
conduct of research as well as federal, and state policies.
• Conduct or direct special projects as assigned.
• Act in other matters and capacities as delegated by the Director
of Health Data Analytics within the Office of Health Affairs.
- Earned PhD in health or data science-related field
- Five (5) years of experience:
- Record of research and achievement in health outcomes and
policy research (health services research, public health
informatics, health policy, clinical outcomes) as evidenced by
publications and / or sustained involvement in a research
- Experience conducting research/evaluation using large
administrative claims data sources within the healthcare industry
or academic or governmental sectors
- Experience training and managing other data analysts
- Extensive knowledge and experience in utilizing large
administrative claims databases for research, program evaluation,
and policy development.
- Experience training others in how to analyze administrative
claims data using SAS or other statistical packages
- Proficiency in the use of standard statistical analysis
packages such as SAS or R.
- Experience in ArcGIS software is an additional
- Interpreting, analyzing, and drawing conclusions from
epidemiological and other public health or publicly sourced
- Ability to project and maintain a positive and collaborative
- Record of accomplishments in the area of health data
- Experience managing other data analysts
- Strong ability to communicate goals, methods, and results of
research initiatives with key stakeholders.
- Proficiency presenting the results of data analyses to diverse
groups of stakeholders
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel.
- Why WVU
- At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless
endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most
passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits
for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our
students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best
out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university,
one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at
- West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity
employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender
equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff,
and students, and invites applications from all qualified
applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender
identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics,
disability, or Veteran status.