The University Memorial Center (UMC) is the student union and heart
of the University of Colorado Boulder Campus. It is a dynamic
environment with a variety of resources, activities, services, and
programs occurring daily. The UMC aims to provide a welcoming
environment that supports students’ success in and outside of the
classroom and that offers a quality facility and services for the
staff, faculty and community of CU Boulder.
UMC AV and Setup Manager
directs the daily work of the UMC
AV and Setup operation teams to execute the setup of rooms and AV
equipment for a range of events in the various events spaces
located in the UMC and other off-site locations. Position works
closely with the CU Events Planning and Catering planning staff in
the planning and coordinating all of the event needs. This role is
also responsible for directing teams in the daily custodial
cleaning of UMC event spaces and deep cleaning during periodic
academic breaks throughout the year, ensuring appropriate supplies
and staff are on hand to complete assignments on time and ensuring
work quality is maintained at a high level. They are responsible
for overseeing appropriate, job-relevant, and consistent training
of staff (full time and student) to assist them in the performance
of their duties. The position utilizes several different software
systems to forecast full-time and student schedules, as well as,
software for map configurations for venue spaces. As the manager
that oversees AV and Setup, this role oversees all in-house AV
systems, including the Crestron and Extron media systems to ensure
the equipment is well maintained, in good working order, according
to the manufacturer’s specifications. The position is responsible
for hiring, training, coaching, and evaluating Set-Up operational
and AV leads.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
As part of the Division of Student Affairs, the UMC looks for
opportunities to collaborate with our colleagues on campus to
accomplish departmental, division, and campus-wide goals. The UMC
is an auxiliary department and is supported by student fees through
the campus’ student government.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Oversight of Building Events Management:
Staff Management and Leadership:
- Direct and supervise UMC Setup Operations and AV Teams in
providing timely and proper setup support per customer needs and
requests in the various event and meeting spaces located in and
outside of the UMC.
- Meet with and exchanges information with clients on event
logistics. Clients and events range from basic, small meetings to
high-end and VIP events. Event and meeting spaces are routinely
turned over several times during a shift and requires the setting
up and striking of a variety of furniture and equipment. Equipment
ranges from simple display boards/signs, tables and chairs, to
large staging sections.
- Provide direction and guidance to staff leads for assigned
tasks and duties to ensure they are completed on time and to
- Drive a university vehicle to deliver and pickup equipment at
offsite locations when setup support is needed for those
- Provide annual event equipment and furniture inventories to the
CU Events Planning and Catering office to insure inventory is up to
date in the EMS scheduling software system.
Oversight of Building Operations:
- Forecast staffing needs of both fulltime staff and student
staff. Determines weekly schedules for direct reports and reviews
work schedules of all departmental staff (full time and student) to
ensure UMC Business needs are met and that there is the necessary
coverage in the building at all times. Work in cooperation with
Setup leads, AV lead and planning staff to determine staff and
approves schedule in scheduling software.
- Approve the daily task list and work flow for maximum
efficiency and productivity of staff on site: task list is managed
in a specific software.
- Hold weekly meetings with directs reports and hosts quarterly
staff meetings with all personnel in departments overseen to
exchange information, plan for upcoming events and projects, and to
stay current on changes or additions to operational processes.
- Perform bi-annual coaching sessions and annual performance
evaluation for all direct reports and acts as reviewer on
performance plans for those positions under its area of
- Research and encourage staff to participate in professional and
personal growth opportunities.
- Provide leadership for and oversees the facilitation of the
student staff work force training and development program.
- Establish and maintain customer service standards to both full
time staff and student staff when working with clients.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the UMC
strategic plans, well as short- and long-term goals.
- Participate in campus wide activities, projects and committees
that enhances the University reputation and supports the Student
Affairs and UMC mission and goals.
- Develop rapport and maintains close working relationships with
Oversight of Building AV Management:
- Direct staff in the daily custodial cleaning, deep cleaning and
maintenance of event and meeting spaces throughout the UMC. Directs
staff in the daily cleaning and maintenance of the retail and
vendor spaces and most exterior spaces surrounding the UMC. This
can include cleaning carpets, stripping and sealing hard surface
floors, window cleaning, washing walls, cleaning and repairing
furniture and equipment, etc.
- Manage the Waste Warrior trash collection programming working
with various campus partners on continually reducing the UMC
landfill and carbon footprint.
- Manage the cleaning and snow removal of most of the exterior of
- Work cooperatively with Facilities Management on the exterior
flower beds, trash removal and snow removal.
- Provide the regular ordering and inventory of supplies and
equipment to ensure equipment is in good working order and supplies
are available to assist staff in the performance of their duties.
Reports damaged or broken equipment to the UMC Maintenance staff to
initiate repairs. Reports building repairs to the UMC maintenance
- Follow established procurement procedures, guidelines and
policies in the acquisition of supplies and equipment. Makes
recommendations for new equipment and furniture purchases, once
research is completed. Reaches out to 3rd party vendors for
estimate or quotes for repair of damaged equipment.
- Assist with building wide projects by coordinating tenant
office or space moves in preparation and completion of
- Direct and oversee the moving of furniture, office equipment,
and other large items in support of the UMC and its operations.
This may be in preparation for the arrival of new replacement
furniture, capital projects, moving of offices and other program
needs within the UMC.
- Manage the furniture disposal process for the entire UMC,
coordinating and scheduling in conjunction with the Distribution
- Manage all storage space in the UMC, assessing the items in
storage on a regular basis to ensure storage spaces are organized
and meets University fire code.
What You Should Know
- Direct the AV staff lead and provides professional AV support
and other conference-related services to ensure client's AV needs
- Meet regularly with or exchanges information with clients to
determine and plan for AV needs for both internal UMC events and
offsite event locations.
- Provide oversite and acts as AV operational back-up with the
- Ensure that AV lead position is providing the appropriate
training for the setup and AV staff on procedures for setup and
operation of AV equipment.
- Able to program and make adjustments on all in-house AV
systems, including the Crestron and Extron media systems to ensure
the equipment is well maintained, in good working order.
- Work with AV Lead to stay current on new technologies that can
improve AV systems for the campus and position makes
recommendations to supervisor accordingly.
- Understand the trends on both furniture and AV equipment for
What We Can Offer
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to
comply with the campus
COVID-19 vaccine requirement.
- New employees must provide proof of vaccination or receive a
medical or religious exemption within 30 days of employment.
- This position is not expected to be remote.
- This position may need to work evenings and
- The salary range for this position is $68,000 - $74,000.
- Onboarding assistance is available within Student Affairs
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be creative. Be inspired. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- 4 years of experience performing setups in a large event center
with multiple event spaces including 2 years of related experience
in Audio Visual Event Production.
- Appropriate education will substitute for the required
experience on a year-for-year basis.
- A valid driver’s license.
What We Would Like You To Have
- A demonstrated record of experience in an event multimedia
production environment or equivalent.
- Ability to interpret technical needs and offer solutions.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to anticipate, troubleshoot, and solve problems in a
fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent customer service skills with and ability to
communicate in a professional manner both in writing and in
- Experience working in a college or university environment.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or
- 2 years experience as a supervisor or manager.
- 5 years experience performing setups in a large event center
with multiple event spaces.
- 5 years experience of related experience in Audio Visual Event
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and
responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by January 3, 2022, for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
This position is designated “essential services.” The incumbent is
required to respond to requests for work during campus emergencies
(snow, wind, rain, flood and any other natural or man-made event)
and report to work for regularly assigned shifts during emergency
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: