Job Summary/Basic Function
In keeping with our mission and vision statement, Maryville
actively seeks adjunct faculty members who are experts in their
fields and have a passion for teaching. Adjunct faculty are an
integral part of the University’s learning community and teach
courses on the main campus. The successful candidate must be
committed to fostering a welcoming environment for a diverse
population of students, faculty, and staff.
Maryville University is seeking qualified candidates interested in
teaching an on-ground course titled Design for the Web. The course
will focus on creating effective prototyped design for mobile and
desktop websites using prototyping software. In addition, for
context students will be exposed to HTML and CSS through exercises
and a small project. The course will be taught via a studio format
and meets twice a week on Tuesday/Thursday, 6:00 pm to 8:50
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
• Teach assigned course as specified in the schedule and course
• Participate in welcome orientation to become familiar with the
University’s mission, academic policies and procedures,
expectations, and Canvas (Learning Management System).
• Prepare essential learning objectives, lesson plans, and
assignments. Develop course syllabus.
• Clearly communicate course objectives and learning outcomes,
teaching methodology, and assignments and deadlines.
• Employ a variety of teaching styles in order to effectively
deliver course content demonstrating both academic and real-world
applications of concepts covered.
• Encourage active learning through discussion topics, class
assignments, group projects, etc.
• Provide feedback and grade assignments in a timely and thorough
manner (within 24 hours).
• Establish weekly office hours to provide additional assistance
with student questions/concerns.
• Report early alerts for students who are not actively engaging in
• Additional duties as assigned.
• Masters or bachelor’s degree with professional experience and
expertise in Interactive Design, Graphic Design, User Experience,
or a Design related discipline
• Student-centered approach and passion for teaching and mentoring
a diverse student population
• Commitment to an experiential learning philosophy
• Skillset in using prototyping software such as Adobe XD
• Basic skillset using HTML and CSS
• Professional/teaching experience
• College or university-level teaching experience.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of
a background screening.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment
authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity
and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, disability,
gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin,
race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or
any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of
the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring,
training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and
Advertised: November 30, 2021