founded in 1831, is a diverse,
energetic liberal arts community where critical thinking and
practical idealism go hand in hand.
The Construction Services team is responsible for the
planning, design, renovation and construction of buildings, grounds
and infrastructure for approximately 300 Wesleyan University
buildings including a central power plant that encompasses almost 3
million square feet. The Construction Services team includes
planners, project managers, project coordinators and engineers who
are supported by the construction project assistant.
Reporting to the Associate Director/Project Manager of
Construction Services, the Construction Project Assistant provides
operational support for the safe, sustainable, and efficient
planning, design, renovation and construction of projects on the
Wesleyan University campus.
- Monitors assigned projects for compliance with budget, schedule
- Maintains project documentation including contracts,
submittals, schedules, requisitions, test reports, correspondence
and close out materials.
- Assists with quality control and quality assurance oversight of
- Works with testing agencies to schedule testing on site.
- Reviews and files project test reports.
- Performs field inspections to confirm drawing and specification
- Reviews, records and verifies consultant/contractor invoices
for accuracy prior to obtaining appropriate approval levels for
payment. Processes and enters invoices for payment, creates new
project numbers, enters budgets and purchase orders in the
- Maintains project records both on-line and on file.
- Provides ongoing database maintenance for maintenance and
- Audits projects periodically and at close out.
- Schedules project meetings as required by the team.
- Prepares meeting documents and creates presentation
- Attends project meetings, records notes from the meeting,
develops and distributes meeting minutes.
- Measures spaces in Wesleyan buildings, inputs dimensions and
drawings into AutoCad.
- Conducts inspections of facilities as assigned. Takes
photographs of properties, assembles documents relative to building
conditions, and city records relative to their attributes. Works
with outside consultants as required to provide building specific
information for use in design.
- Records, evaluates and publishes both staff and contractor
performance on projects based on survey responses. Monitors annual
satisfaction scores for all buildings including but not limited to
senior student surveys.
- Completes other assignments as required in support of physical
plant including but not limited inspecting and photographing
- Ensures that all campus buildings and grounds are maintained to
the highest achievable standards by proactively resolving or
reporting items requiring maintenance or repair for all shops.
- Assigns corrective actions where required.
- Create, update and maintain website.
- Responds to emergency calls when needed after hours, on
weekends and holiday
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
High school graduate and 5 years related work experience or
Proficiency in AutoCAD.
Working knowledge of local, state and national building codes
including fire codes.
Demonstrated ability to read and interpret specifications and
Working knowledge of construction terminology, budgeting
methods, strong financial background with ability to track multiple
Working knowledge regarding the maintenance of design &
construction project records/files.
Excellent organizational skills; and the ability to excel in a
fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
Effective communication skills.
Ability to administer customer service and resolve conflicts
in a professional manner.
Desktop computer skills including the proficient use of
MS-Office Suite, Adobe, and web content management.
Ability to obtain a valid State of Connecticut driver’s
Bachelor’s Degree in construction management, civil
engineering, or related field or equivalent training and
certifications plus 3 years of experience in construction
administration. Proficiency in space management systems,
AIAcontracts, web page management and maintenance management
Special Instructions to Applicants
Application close date is November 30, 2021
Any and all offers to external applicants are contingent on
the candidate’s completion of a pre-employment background check
screening to the satisfaction of Wesleyan University.
Wesleyan requires all employees to be vaccinated against Covid 19
unless they meet the criteria for a medical or religious exemption.
New employees must be vaccinated prior to their start date. If an
employee needs an exemption for medical or religious reasons, they
must submit a request to Wesleyan and be approved before their
Wesleyan University, located in Middletown, Connecticut, does
not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, age,
gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital
status, ancestry, present or past history of mental disorder,
learning disability or physical disability, political belief,
veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or
non-position-related criminal record. We welcome applications from
women and historically underrepresented minority groups. Inquiries
regarding Title IX, Section 504, or any other non-discrimination
policies should be directed to: Alison Williams, Vice President for
Equity & Inclusion/ Title IX Officer, 860-685-3927, firstname.lastname@example.org.