The College of Arts and Sciences (A&S) encourages applications
for a Finance and Accounting Manager
! This position
provides fiscal oversight and technical financial support to
academic departments within the College of Arts and Sciences. The
position is part of the management team that leads all aspects of
the A&S Financial Service Center (FSC) with the goal to assure
the FSC support mission and goals are achieved through adherence to
established university and college policy and procedures. This
position optimizes the FSC services provided to A&S departments
by continually analyzing and adapting to changes in financial
policy and procedures and the University finance systems. This
position focuses on developing processes that assure FSC operations
are responsive to evolving business practices and systems while
ensuring efficient, effective, and compliant procedures are in
place. This position provides consultation to campus units
regarding the training of financial support staff, standard
methodologies, and the use of financial software/tools used in
providing financial support. This position works with the A&S
Budget Office and FSC managers to ensure the FSC maintains a
standard of performance that is a model for other campus service
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Colorado
Boulder is the intellectual core of the university, conducting
research, scholarship, creative work and education in more than 60
fields. Our research generates new knowledge, solving some of the
world’s most critical problems.
The college leads nationally in undergraduate and graduate
education in the natural sciences, social sciences and arts and
humanities, bringing world-class research and scholarship to our
students, both in and out of the classroom.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Consulting, Project Management, and Oversight
Financial and Budgetary Oversight
- Applying university policy and procedural operations expertise,
navigate campus requirements in the most compliant and efficient
manner to provide best-practice financial service to A&S
- Coordinate with campus administrators, chairs, directors,
deans, faculty, staff, and other campus units on standard
methodologies and the effective use of financial and business
systems (i.e. Marketplace, Concur, MyLeave, CU-Data, PeopleSoft,
paperless processes, system upgrades).
- Be responsible for the development of measures and metrics to
analyze data related to FSC productivity, department process
workflow, and internal processes. Evaluate internal processes and
adjust as needed to provide effective support services and meet
changing business needs.
- Recommend and coordinate support initiatives with FSC managers
- Provide training for A&S departments on an ad hoc
- Ensure that the FSC is at the forefront of providing practical
business solutions by focusing on continuous operational
improvement and using current and effective technology.
- Develop and implement business processes for the FSC with an
eye on continuous operational improvement.
- Actively engage with FSC staff and A&S units in the
development and implementation of standardized forms and templates
to be used by FSC for data collection, entry, and
- Work with campus Internal Audit to ensure that proper internal
controls exist within the FSC.
Financial and Budgetary Oversight, Procurement and Travel
- Serve as reviewer and PeopleSoft approver for journal entries,
payroll expense transfers and cash transfers that have been input
by the FSC staff.
- Assist supervisors with resolving issues that arise regarding
financial transactions completed by the FSC staff and verifying
they are in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting
Principles and State, University and College fiscal rules and
- Manage sponsored project financial issues using knowledge of
contract and grant fiscal requirements.
- Manage the year-end processes in accordance with directives
from the Campus Controller’s Office, address any problems by
determining accurate means of resolution.
- Serve as reviewer/signature authority and Marketplace approver
of Marketplace transactions for SPO’s, PR’s, P0’s, Receiving,
PCARD, TCARD and vouchers.
- Identify and investigate problematic issues and determine
proper means of resolution. Collaborate with FSC managers,
technicians and supervisor in implementing solutions.
What You Should Know
- Manage FSC staff.
- Responsible for recruiting and hiring, providing ongoing
training/educational sessions, provide performance planning,
coaching and evaluations for team staff members.
- Assist with the review and development of FSC business
processes, procedures, reports and forms.
- Oversee staff assigned to special projects as needed.
This position will work a hybrid schedule with mostly remote work.
Initial training will be in-person. We'll expect to begin
interviews for this position in early January.
What We Can Offer
The annual salary is $60,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be driven. Be supportive. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may
- 2 years of experience in accounting and/or finance.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
- 3+ years of experience in accounting and/or finance.
- 2+ years of supervision experience.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and
responsibilities of the position.
- A short essay (no more than 1 page) that addresses the
following statement: "Our unit recognizes that our mission is
strengthened by contributions from varied perspectives. Describe
what your commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion looks like
in practice and how have you demonstrated your commitment in your
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by December 13, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: