Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, a
comprehensive global research university and a major engine for
economic development in the region. With over 24,000 students,
Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel
has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged
university, with community partnerships integrated into every
aspect of service and academics.
The Associate/Assistant Athletics Director, Campus Recreation will
provide leadership to fully integrate sports into the Drexel
student-life experience. This position is committed to the creation
of innovative programs and services that embrace individual
uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusive excellence that supports
both broad and specific diversity initiatives and meets the
holistic recreation, health and wellness of Drexel University
students, faculty, staff, and community.
- Administer structured sport opportunities for Drexel University
students, encompassing intramural sports that offer various
leagues, tournaments, and special events throughout the year, as
well as club sports with over 30+ competing teams.
- Provide leadership in facility management of Drexel Recreation
Center and related facilities. Responsible for the risk management
and safety of those facilities, including a Recreation Center gym,
climbing wall, swimming pool, tennis courts, outdoor recreational
field and Bubble structure, sand volleyball court, and squash
- Foster an environment of health and wellness for Drexel
students, faculty, staff, and Rec Center members. Programs include,
but not limited to, group exercise classes, wellness programming,
consultations and events, a therapy dog program, and Employee
- Supervise recreational staff to meet the needs of the mission
and prioritize student staff development.
- Directly supervise several full-time Recreation employees that
oversee specific programmatic areas.
- Lead and work in conjunction with specific program area
professionals to ensure programs are appropriately staffed and all
necessary personnel logistics coordinated appropriately, i.e. -
aquatics, climbing wall, intramurals, fitness and wellness,
membership services, club & intramural sports, etc.
- Encourage student staff development through meaningful work
experience, co-op placement, professional development, and job
- Oversee comprehensive recreational marketing efforts to engage
university community and maximize revenue opportunities.
- Coordinate with University Communications to ensure unified
marketing campaign efforts for all of Rec Athletics.
- Identify and grow revenue sources through Rec Center membership
sales, program offerings, space utilization, etc.
- Maintain existing and cultivate new campus partnerships.
- Meet with student leadership groups and campus partners to
communicate recreation program offerings and stay in tune with
campus needs. Student leadership groups include but limited to -
Fraternity & Sorority Life, Residence Halls,
Commuters/Transfers Office, Campus Activity Board, Student
Government, Law School, Medical School and any college leadership
- Lead integration of recreational programming and services into
student life and traditions at Drexel, including, but not limited
to - Homecoming, Open Houses, Family Weekend, etc.
- Principal owner of University Recreation & Wellness budget
of approximately $2.5 million. Develop an annual budget in
conjunction with Business Manager of Recreation, plan for future
capital needs, and hold program area leaders accountable to
- Coordinate participant /facility user satisfaction surveys and
staff learning/development surveys across the entire program.
- Provide detailed reports of program participation, facility
usage, membership sales.
- Support University events and serve as Department
representative and University functions as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 5 years of experience
- Strong communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
and strategic vision required
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and
- Master's Degree preferred
- At least 5/8 years’ experience working in a university
recreation department with direct responsibilities of structured
sports, health fitness & wellness, facility management, member
services, professional staff supervision, and budget
University City – Philadelphia, PA
This position is classified as Exempt
with a salary grade of
For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional
Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when
submitting your application.
Review of applicants will continue until a suitable candidate pool
Nov 29 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Dec 29 2021 Eastern Standard Time