The Department of Psychological Science and Counseling at Austin
Peay State University (APSU) seeks to fill
positions in the area of Counseling
with a start date
of August 1, 2022
. Positions will serve our
new PsyD program in Counseling Psychology which launched Fall 2020.
The program offers a generalist track as well as a concentration in
Serving Military Personnel, Veterans, and their Families. Persons
hired for these positions will have a unique opportunity to help
build and shape an innovative, forward-looking doctoral training
program in health service psychology. Strong candidates will
possess a deep commitment to the foundational values that
characterize the field of counseling psychology: a holistic,
contextual, strengths-based approach to intervention, emphasis on
integration of science and practice, and a steadfast dedication to
diversity and social justice. The Department of
Psychological Science and Counseling is a diverse, dynamic, and
collegial environment that in addition to the PsyD program, is home
to a large undergraduate program in psychological science, a Master
of Science program in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
(MSIO), a Master of Science program in Counseling, and a graduate
certificate program in Academic Advising. For more information
about the department, visit: http://www.apsu.edu/psychology/index.php
The department is housed within the College of Behavioral and
Health Sciences which affords rich opportunities for
interdisciplinary collaborations. Some examples of recent and
ongoing college collaborations include a grant-funded research and
intervention project aimed at supporting student veteran
transitions to college, a grant-funded project focused on student
mental health and wellness, a juvenile justice mentorship project,
and a working group focusing on trauma-informed pedagogy.
Austin Peay State University is located in Clarksville, TN,
which Money Magazine rated number 1 in its 2019 Best Places to Live
Clarksville is a vibrant, diverse community with a low cost of
living, and easy interstate access to nearby Nashville. Clarksville
is centrally located in the region, with Memphis, Louisville,
Atlanta, St. Louis, Chicago, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, New Orleans,
and many other major cities a day’s drive away. For additional
information about APSU including our mission and vision
please visit: https://www.apsu.edu/about-apsu/index.php
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be responsible for a minimum of 30 teaching load credits per
academic year, 6 of which will be for advisement, research,
committee work, etc.
- Be willing to teach at times and places necessary to meet
- Be willing to adopt innovative teaching methods and delivery as
- Possess the knowledge, talents and skills in the discipline to
promote effective teaching.
- Demand and maintain high standards and expectations for all
- Implement teaching activities and a diversity of teaching
techniques, procedures, and resources including application of
- Develop and implement evaluation and assessment techniques that
are appropriate for each course.
- Use multiple measures to assess student learning on a regular
basis and provide frequent feedback to students relative to their
- Be available and knowledgeable and demonstrate proficiency in
the practice of academic advisement of students.
- Conduct appropriate research and scholarly/creative activity
within the discipline.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrate willingness and ability to work effectively with
colleagues to support the mission of the institution and related
- Exhibit motivation and initiatve in keeping up-to-date and
current in one’s curriculum area by reading/reviewing current
scholarly or creative works in their field and by attending
conferences, seminars, workshops, courses, and development
activities sponsored by the University.
- Serve effectively on committees and other appropriate functions
that assist in University governance.
- Demonstrate respect for the diverse learning needs of
- Demonstrate the ability to develop and implement curriculum
objectives and content for courses offered and taught in one’s
- Demonstrate evidence of continuing professional development and
growth by being suitably active in professional and community
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- A doctorate (PsyD or PhD) in Counseling Psychology (preferred)
or Clinical Psychology from an APA-accredited program is
- Preferred candidates will be licensed as a
psychologist HSP or be license-eligible in TN within 1
year of hire.
- Clinical, teaching, and research areas are open, but interest
and expertise in substance use disorders, health psychology,
neuropsychology, or geropsychology as well as experience working
with military populations is desirable but not required.
- All APSU faculty are expected to be engaged in
university and community service, and scholarly activities. The
university has plentiful funding opportunities to help support
research, teaching, and professional development.
Apply at https://apsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/13274