The American Accounting Association is the largest community of
accountants in academia. Founded in 1916, we have a rich and
reputable history built on leading-edge research and
publications. The diversity of our membership creates a
fertile environment for collaboration and innovation. Collectively,
we shape the future of accounting through teaching, research, and a
powerful network, ensuring our position as thought leaders in
The American Accounting Association (AAA) is seeking a
full-time, exempt Director, Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
(DEI) and Special Programs to join our team at the Lakewood Ranch
Office located in Manatee County, Florida. This is a new position
for the American Accounting Association. The majority of AAA
professional staff are currently working remotely because of
COVID-19, but a small, safe number of staff are working in the
office and remotely as needed..This position will commence with
some initial in-office training and then a combination of remote
and in-office work as determined by the CEO. Our office
currently has in place the following COVID-19 precautions for
in-office staff: masks required for unvaccinated employees,
maintain social distancing as comfortable, sanitizing,
disinfecting, and cleaning procedures in place.
The Director, DEI & Special Programs
is responsible for working with the AAA Headquarters team, the AAA
Board of Directors, and the AAA DEI Committee to guide the
organization’s overall diversity, equity and inclusion strategy at
the programmatic and administrative levels to promote diversity,
equity, inclusion and belonging practices that will be evidenced
through programs, structure, practices, policies, and leadership.
The Director, DEI and Special Programs will lead activities,
conversations, and dialogue, as well as drive decisions that move
the organization from not only acknowledging differences, but
affirming and honoring differences.
The new Director role will have a meaningful and continuous impact
on organizational objectives. This leader will engage in a process
of creating and maintaining an inclusive environment by adopting a
proactive view of diversity, which is designed to promote valuing
diversity and driving inclusive and belonging behaviors throughout
the organization, including membership and strategic partners.
Lead and execute the overall DEI strategy across the membership
and staff of the organization and beyond by partnering with
volunteer leaders and key stakeholders.
- Facilitate sharing of best practices and identify opportunities
for greater alignment and more unified efforts across the AAA, the
AAA Segments and Regions and Partner organizations.
- Engage in analysis, reporting, and understanding of DEI metrics
- Lead through influence to drive cultural and behavior change
across the membership of the organization.
- Provide guidance to headquarters and volunteer leadership and
other identified work groups regarding cross-cultural
communications, education, and collaborations.
- Advise on, create, and move our DEI education strategy forward,
including outreach events and campaigns to build support and
increase diversity across our stakeholder groups.
- Design and run student programming that supports an
increasingly diverse pipeline of accounting students.
- Establish new, and cultivate existing, strategic partnerships
to support the DEI strategy.
- Guide and mentor team members to encourage professional
development and goal achievement.
- Serve as an internal diversity subject matter expert to
leadership, providing expertise and support in the development,
implementation, and monitoring of diversity programs.
- Lead in the development of an operational plan, participate in
the strategic planning process and performance metrics development
under the direction of the CEO and Board.
- Maintains files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in
accordance with association policy and accepted accounting
- Communicates effectively through writing, listening, and
- Ensures continuous improvement through effective process
analysis, documentation and ongoing application
- Protects the organization's value by keeping information
- Updates job knowledge by participating in industry-wide
These statements are intended to describe the general nature and
level of work being performed. They are not intended to be
construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and
skills required. Duties, responsibilities, and skills may
change at any time with or without notice based on the needs of the
Education and Experience Requirements
BA/BS or equivalent combination of verifiable education,
training, and/or experience.
- A solid background in diversity initiatives with increasingly
- Documented work with students and career choices a plus.
- Strong computer and software skills in Microsoft Office Suite,
Zoom Meeting/Webinar, and content management systems.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and coordinate multiple
concurrent tasks and activities with excellent attention to
- Ability to monitor the progress of tasks and projects and
provide follow-up in order to meet targeted deadlines.
- Ability to interact with professional staff, members, and
volunteers in a professional manner
- Strong skills in the following areas:
- problem solving
- research and resolution
- communication through writing, listening, and speaking
Salary - Salary is competitive and commensurate
with education and experience.
Benefits Package – Generous benefits package
with Café Plan. Relocation package if more than one hour outside
the Sarasota area.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to see, speak and hear to exchange information.
The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, and walk; reach
with hands and arms, and use finger dexterity. The employee is
occasionally required to bend at the waist, stoop, kneel, and
crouch; and perform work which involves occasionally lifting,
pushing and or pulling of objects which may approximate 50
Company Website – https://aaahq.org
The American Accounting Association fully complies with the
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and will make reasonable
accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
the essential job functions.
We are an equal opportunity, at-will employer and do not
discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment
because of age, race, religion, color, disability, sex, sexual
orientation or national origin.