The Medal of Honor Foundation (MOHF) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit
established in 1999 to advance the mission and provide a path for
financial support of the Congressional Medal of Honor Society
(CMOHS). The Society exists to preserve and protect the legacy of
the Medal of Honor and the Recipients who promote the values of
courage, sacrifice, integrity, commitment, patriotism and
citizenship through their outreach and education initiatives.
The Executive Director of
Philanthropy works in strong partnership with the
Foundation Executive Director and the Society and Foundation Boards
to ensure the successful delivery on all annual fundraising goals
to provide for the current and future needs of the Society.
This is a fully remote position that requires consistent,
frequent communication and collaboration with a fully remote team
as well as those working on site at Society headquarters in
Charleston, South Carolina. Extended hours and weekend/holiday work
may be required.
- Uphold the mission of the Foundation and its role in supporting
the Society. Ensure full integration, support and alignment to the
strategic plan and all Society initiatives.
- Design and implement a comprehensive annual fundraising
strategic plan with metrics/KPIs. Report on progress to goals and
ensure leadership has all relevant context and data.
- Oversee all aspects of the annual fundraising strategy
including major gifts (corporate and individual), annual fund,
grants, events and donor communication and stewardship.
- Shall have immediate and overall supervision of the operations
of the Corporation, and shall direct the day-to-day business of the
Corporation, maintain the properties of the Corporation, hire,
discharge, and determine the salaries and other compensation of all
staff members under their supervision and perform such additional
duties as may be directed by the Executive Committee or the Board
- Will liaise with the Congressional Medal of Honor Society
President or his designated representative for any programs and
activities involving the Society.
- Provide collaborative leadership, strategic vision, and
inspiration for the development staff and Board of Directors.
Foster and grow a culture of philanthropy at all levels of the
Foundation and Society. Shall make such reports at the Board and
Executive Committee meetings as shall be required by the Chair or
the Board. The Executive Director of Philanthropy shall be a
non-voting ad- hoc member of all committees.
- Provide leadership and support for Board of Director and
volunteer (National Advisory Council, Emeritus Board, etc.)
engagement in fundraising. Work collaboratively with the Board and
Society Executive Vice President to ensure the financial growth to
meet current and future annual fundraising goals. Support and
facilitate appropriate committees.
- Provide fiscal health oversight and annual budget development
with accurate revenue projections. Maintain revenue to expense
ratios and work to ensure continued high ratings with Charity
watchdog groups (Charity Navigator, GuideStar).
- Recruit, supervise, mentor and evaluate the development
- Manage a portfolio of major gift donors and prospects
(corporate and individual). Cultivate, solicit and steward top tier
- Empower the staff, Board of Directors and volunteers to be
effective in their fundraising efforts by providing strategic
counsel for cultivation, solicitation, communication and
recognition of donors and prospects.
- Responsible for establishing and implementing the
infrastructure and resources needed to support the annual
fundraising strategic goals.
- Oversee efforts to ensure a donor-centered approach to all
communications – ensure donors are informed of the impact of their
donations as well as key initiatives of the organization.
- Ensure a philosophy of continuous quality improvement to the
oversight of the fundraising program including the development and
monitoring of policies and procedures. Mitigate risk and ensure
compliance with the industry standard for ethics in philanthropy,
the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) Code of Ethical
Principles and Standards.
- Attend relevant Society, Society-related and Foundation events
and be active in relevant community initiatives.
- Demonstrated character and philosophical alignment with the
Society and Foundation mission.
- Seven or more years of experience in senior-level fundraising,
leading teams in the creation and implementation of comprehensive
fundraising plans with a proven ability to inspire teams to exceed
established goals collaboratively.
- Management skills and strong business acumen, including:
providing leadership and vision, problem solving and decision
making, ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines,
driving collaboration toward shared goals, ability to analyze
diverse facts and develop clear and concise reports,
recommendations and communication.
- Five or more years of successful fundraising experience in
managing high level donor and prospect relationships with a proven
ability to solicit major gifts of six-figures or greater.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability and
personality to work collaboratively, accept responsibility, and
motivate colleagues, volunteers, and donors. Experience effectively
engaging with and supporting military leaders preferred.
- Experience leading and engaging boards and committees comprised
of high-profile C-suite level volunteers to successfully achieve
annual fundraising goals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability
to communicate effectively with varied audiences, especially high
net worth donors and volunteers.
- Demonstrated ability to be highly collaborative and have a
transparent communication style, with a high level of
- Must be self-directed, flexible, creative, able to work
independently and perform with poise under pressure, and deliver
strong, measurable results.
- Ability to be flexible in a changing work environment;
supportive of continuous improvement and change.
- High proficiency with technology and fluency with Microsoft
Suite applications, Google Apps, DonorPerfect software and other
- Ability to work flexible hours and travel frequently throughout
the United States (when safe).
- Preferred experience working remotely.