Position: Vice President Economic
Mobility and Workforce Innovation
Rockland Community College is seeking a Vice President to
oversee a new division of Economic Mobility and Workforce
Innovation. Rockland Community College is the only public
minority-serving institution in Rockland County, enrolling
considerable numbers of Pell Grant recipients, first-generation
college students, and adult students. For this critical senior
leadership role, we strongly encourage applications from qualified
candidates who share identities with those of our students and/or
who are members of other historically underrepresented communities.
RCC is looking for a self-motivated, experienced, and
results-driven VP, who will report to the President, to direct and
manage the business activities of this new division and to develop
and implement effective business strategies and programs. The
successful candidate will have a high level of energy, political
savvy, drive and the personality necessary to achieve ambitious
goals of this new division, as well as experience leading
entrepreneurial programs or divisions focused on economic and
- Collaborates deeply with the President to develop a vision for
Rockland Community College’s strategic engagement in service to its
economic mobility and workforce innovation objectives. Determine
how Rockland Community College can make a difference where the need
is greatest and lead and drive transformational and equitable
impact in the communities it serves.
- Will work with nonprofits, business leaders, community
organizations, philanthropic funders, and key stakeholders to
support inclusive community, workforce, and economic development by
(1) planning and executing Rockland Community College’s major
community, workforce, and economic development programs; (2)
utilizing applied research to strengthen programs and strategies;
(3) collaborating with key community leaders, stakeholders,
nonprofits, and business leaders to build shared value strategies
which advance our goals for sustainable, inclusive community
- Work with community and governmental agencies, other
educational institutions, employers, businesses, and critical
stakeholder groups to identify workforce needs and strategies.
Expand workforce partnerships and collaborations with companies,
unions, community-based organizations, and governmental and
non-governmental organizations. Secure business and other community
partnerships that drive long-term mission impact, yield business
growth, and ensure high-quality programming, community engagement,
and communications objectives are included in partner
- Oversee development and delivery of workforce programs and
initiatives that create sustainable impact and scalable within
Rockland Community College and the community.
- Develops and manages innovative and attractive educational
credit and nondegree programs for adults in response to changing
needs of constituencies.
- Partner with the Vice President of Institutional Advancement to
align communications and community engagement strategies through
various channels and tactics. Set the overall strategy for the
Division’s technology capabilities to enable effective
communication and connection with job seekers and community members
seeking support services in collaboration with the College Chief
- Collaborate with the Chief Financial Officer to oversee the
Division’s financial performance, contract administration, and
business engagement plans. Prepares and supervises start-up and
operational budgets; implements short- and long-range fiscal plans,
determine the allocation of funds for staff, supplies, facilities,
and equipment; authorizes and monitors expenditures.
- Ensure the integration of research-based best practices in
educational technologies, student-centered instructional
strategies, quality curriculum standards, and emerging skills that
enable all students, employees, and clients to reach their full
- Hire, manage and provide direction and mentorship to Division
staff and contractors.
- Identify and use benchmarked workforce development and
training-associated metrics to maintain and improve program
effectiveness as evidenced by increased placement, retention, and
- Support and maintain a divisional culture of innovation that
fosters a high degree of engagement in and appreciation for
training and workforce development activities.
- Assume overall accountability for the success of all
departments reporting to the Vice President, ensuring that outcomes
and productivity standards are set, measured, met, or exceeded.
Develop a quality assurance program to monitor performance and
ensure student learning and satisfaction.
- In collaboration with the Division of Institutional
Advancement, oversee and participate in grant development and
administration. Identify new funding and grant opportunities.
Develop partnerships in response to inquiries from the government
and other potential funders.
- Design and implement systems and structures that ensure
efficient, effective, and scalable operations.
- Collaborate with HR to train and coach managers, supervisors,
and others involved in employee and workforce development
- Shaping and implementing a capacity-building strategy for
inclusive community development include asset-based community
development, consensus organizing, and other related applied
research approaches focusing on the unique role Rockland Community
College plays in Rockland County and its surrounding
- Designing, implementing and evaluating community, workforce,
and economic development initiatives.
- Contributing to the creation of the overall strategy to advance
equitable, inclusive capacity building in local communities.
- Continuously learning throughout a process of strategy,
prioritization, implementation, applied research, and
- Building strong community-centered partnerships for local
- Collaborating and building impactful, inclusive initiatives
with the community, workforce, and economic development
Master's degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum of five (5) years of administrative or managerial
experience in corporate or higher education settings.
- Demonstrated track record of identifying and engaging key
strategic external partners (individual or institutional) for the
purposes of building effective collaborative initiatives to deliver
programs, curriculum, industry partnerships, etc.; ability to pull
together many different constituencies, from both the public and
- Demonstrated track record for writing, receiving, and managing
- Demonstrated ability to supervise a team of professional staff,
as well as develop and manage operational budgets and business
- Demonstrated track record for increased ROI of non-credit
program offerings and trainings.
- Experience reporting directly to or working with an
- High energy with the ability to lead teams toward successful
collaboration in the development of workforce training that will
meet the present and future needs of the region's economic
development and corporate communities.
- Possess highly developed analytical skills, writing and
presentation skills, and communication skills that allow for
effective communication with stakeholders.
Starting Salary: Commensurate with
Submit Resumes to:
Application Deadline: Search will remain open
until candidate is selected however, to ensure consideration
resumes should be received by November 25, 2021.
Include three (3) professional references (including names,
phone numbers and e-mail addresses). References will not be
contacted without prior permission of the candidate. Employment at
the College may be subject to the favorable result of a background
investigation. Official transcripts will be required upon
employment. Foreign transcripts which are not accompanied by an
evaluation from an approved agency may not be reviewed. Applicants
may contact NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluating
Service) at www.naces.org to
obtain a list of members providing this service. Any expenses
incurred for this service must be borne by the applicant. Foreign
transcript translations by applicants or educational institutions
are not acceptable.
Rockland Community College is an affirmative action/equal
opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from
women, people of color, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Our mission demonstrates a strong public commitment to a diverse
and inclusive campus community.