A.T. Still University’s Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral
Health (ATSU-ASDOH) invites applications for an exempt Assistant
Professor, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery on the Mesa, Arizona
campus. This position will conduct teaching, patient care,
scholarly and service activities in support of the mission, goals
and objectives of the School and University with primary
responsibility to facilitate the students’ preclinical and clinical
experience in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery from foundational
knowledge and clinical skills to demonstrating competency in
patient-centered care that integrates biomedical, behavioral and
Major Job Duties:
- General – promote an atmosphere of respect, collegiality,
commitment to diversity and social justice, and humanistic learning
- General – conduct teaching, scholarship, service and patient
care in support of the mission and goals of ASDOH and ATSU.
- Teaching – preclinical and clinical supervision as an Oral
Surgeon with direct hands on in the Simulation Lab and ASDOH
clinics; effectively carry out lecture, seminar, preclinical and
clinical assignments as assigned, with a focus on Oral &
- Service – Participate in committees, faculty governance,
professional societies and associations, community events, and
provision of CE.
- Scholarship - As workload allows, establish and maintain
activity in area of expertise.
Position Requirements and Preferences:
- PreClinical and Clinical Supervision: Provide direct hands on
supervision of predoctoral dental students in simulation and
patient care activities within the scope of general dentistry with
a focus on oral & maxillofacial surgery; provide clinical
supervision of ASDOH residents as assigned.
- Oversee the development, implementation, revision and
assessment of curriculum as assigned, integrating oral &
maxillofacial surgery with other predoctoral curriculum, including
behavioral, biomedical and clinical sciences.
- Documentation: Complete documentation on student
performance/progress towards competency; review and approve EHR
documentation in clinic and simulation lab.
- Coordinate with responsible Administrators & Asst/Assoc
Deans in Clinic and Simulation Lab to establish protocols related
to curriculum responsibility areas; enforce clinic policy including
infection control, QI, risk management, recordkeeping, etc &
assure safety. Support Director of Clinic Operations in the
supervision and direction of clinic support staff.
- Provide direct hands on patient care in ASDOH Clinics that
supports community service, efficient clinic operations,
student/resident education, or when in the best interest of the
patient (e.g: guiding, demonstration and completion of oral
surgical procedures in support of students, residents and
- Effectively carry out lecture, seminar and clinical assignments
and responsibilities as assigned, including appropriate student
assessment and documentation.
- Provide faculty development, training, and calibration related
to curricular content.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Education : Completion of an advanced education program
in OMFS from an institution accredited by the American Dental
Association Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA); Board
Eligible / Board Certified in OMFS.
- Experience : At least five years’ experience in clinical
oral surgery practice (time in advanced graduate training in oral
surgeon may be included).
- Preferences : Eligibility for dental licensure in
Arizona; DDS or DMD from a CODA accredited program; experience in
academics, clinical research and private clinical practice.
- Excellent communication, problem solving, crisis management and
organizational skills, high emotional intelligence, tact and
- Must be able to be self-directed and take the initiative.
- Must be highly skilled in clinical oral surgery; willing and
able to act as a “hands-on” faculty instructor (e.g.; clinic
demonstration, direct student observation of clinical
ATSU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical,
dental, and vision coverages, among more. If eligible,
employee-elected benefits would begin the first of the month
following hire date. For more information, please visit: atsu.edu/employment/benefits