Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university
dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All Faculty
are expected to be excellent teachers, responsive to changing
professional needs; committed to innovative delivery of instruction
resulting in improved student learning; committed to effective use
of technology including distance learning; and provide service to
the College, University and Community
Assignments will include teaching, at both undergraduate and/or
graduate levels, as applicable. Teaching assignments may be on the
main campus or at off-campus sites within our region. Additional
duties may be assigned by supervisor.
Courses may include News Editing, Grammar, Journalistic Writing,
and New Reporting and Writing.
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Be an engaging instructor utilizing high impact practices to
help students to understand the core principles of practices of
- Develop course syllabus with readings and assignments adhering
to University policies; development of visual modes of presentation
and facilitate student discussion
- Utilize Canvas as the LMS.
- Teach analytical reading skills and teach how to construct a
well-written argument with thesis, supporting evidence and
citation, and depth of analysis.
- Facilitate student learning with feedback on written
assignments, the timely entering of grades and response to emails
(24hrs), and the holding of virtual office hours.
Additional Job Description
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Master’s degree and/or 18 graduate credits in Journalism or
- PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ph.D. or related terminal degree and 18 graduate credits in
Journalism or related discipline.
- Experience teaching at university level
- Promote a common purpose consistent with stated University
goals and demonstrate a commitment to students and the learning
- Possess the knowledge of general written standards and
procedures utilized, and have the ability to read, interpret, and
follow procedural and policy manual related to the job tasks.
- Demonstrate the ability to respond to supervision, guidance and
direction in a positive, receptive manner and in accordance with
- Provide quality customer service by creating a welcoming and
- Present a professional image in word, action and attire.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with a diverse
group of staff, faculty, students and the community in a
- Apply effective techniques to create working relationships with
others to achieve common goals; successfully communicates and
collaborates with others to achieve goals.
- Demonstrate skills necessary to look at situations and
processes critically to make recommendations for improvement.
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.