The King’s College (NYC) is seeking a pool of qualified faculty
able to serve as online instructors during an 8-week term,
beginning January 24, 2022 with new academic terms beginning each
subsequent month. Faculty are expected to possess a terminal degree
in their field of instruction and must be able to affirm and
willing to teach in accordance with the College’s statement of
Disciplines of anticipated need in early 2022: Business, Economics,
English/Writing, History, Literature, Philosophy (esp. logic,
philosophy of science), Politics (esp. political theory, American
government), and Religion (esp. Christian worldview, Old Testament,
The instructor will guide students through the learning experience
for the assigned class and is responsible to present
(asynchronously, using pre-existing materials) and explain course
material, spur discussion or other student participation, grade
assignments in a timely manner, and, in general, engage in regular
and substantive interaction with students throughout the term. Must
be able to affirm and willing to teach in accordance with the
College’s Statement of Faith.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Ensure that the course syllabus is complete and accurate,
includes instructor details, and conforms to the general syllabus
standards and requirements given by the Provost’s Office and to the
master online syllabus for the course being taught.
• Ensure that the LMS course shell is correctly set up for the term
(Confirm that dates are correct, exam and quiz settings are
correct, etc.), including an instructor- and term-specific welcome
video and introductory email.
• Set performance expectations and provide guidance to students as
they take the course.
• Engage all students in regular and substantive interaction over
the course of the term.
• Post a weekly announcement to students, including a summary of
the course material to be covered that week and a list of graded
assignments due that week.
• Initiate, facilitate, moderate, and participate in online
discussion forums. Engage current events as appropriate.
• Grade assignments (quizzes, tests, papers, etc.) in accordance
with master course rubrics, provide performance feedback, and
respond to student inquiries in a timely manner.
• Keep course gradebook records up-to-date throughout the term and
submit final grade data to the Registrar in a timely manner.
• Provide timely feedback to students’ questions and concerns
(within 24-48 hours unless lecturer has warned students that he/she
will be unreachable for a certain period of time), referring
students to technical support as needed.
• Hold office hours for a minimum of 4 hours per week per course;
require all students to meet synchronously with the lecturer at
least twice each term or institute a comparable plan for regular
synchronous contact with students.
• Monitor student attendance and participation in the class
according to the TKC online attendance policy.
• Track and monitor the academic success of each of the students
and intervene as necessary, including putting struggling students
in touch with academic support staff and providing tutoring
• Enforce course deadlines and other administrative policies.
• Complete assigned training in online pedagogy and use of the
• Communicate course revision suggestions to Program Chair, the
course Master Professor, and Instructional Designer for
• Be attentive and responsive to communication from Program Chair,
course Master Professor, Academic Affairs staff, and other College
• Utilize other best practices in online teaching methods as
communicated by Academic Affairs staff and administration.
• Operate in a collegial and constructive manner with other.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
• Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree in instructional discipline
• Experience in online instruction (preferred)
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent critical thinking and decision-making skills
• Willingness to work in an accelerated learning format and to work
online with students on a daily basis
• Access to a personal computer with reliable high-speed
PHYSICAL DEMANDS &WORK ENVIORNMENT:
General office environment; mental concentration normal plus
periods of concentrated attention (2-4 hours).
Applicants should submit a cover letter and CV, which should
include any online teaching experience, an affirmation of the
statement of faith, and references. A full job description is
available on The King's College website.