About the Job
The Chief Budget Officer is a full-time, exempt position that
reports directly to the Executive Vice President. This individual
will be responsible for directing and coordinating the overall
financial planning, budgeting, forecasting, and implementing
financial strategies. The Chief Budget Officer will participate and
provide guidance to the Executive Vice President, supervisors,
deans, and other critical leadership to ensure the University meets
the short and long term planning goals, while maintaining a sound
financial condition and assisting with the operational aspects of
the University. The ideal candidate must have effective
interpersonal skills with the ability to build positive
relationships both within and outside of Colorado Christian
This is hybrid position and will require in-office presence
multiple times a week.
CCU is the premier interdenominational Christian university in
Colorado and the Rocky Mountain region, delivering world class
education to thousands of students. The fully accredited, nonprofit
University is located in Lakewood, Colorado, a suburb of
CCU was founded in 1914 on two principles — grace and truth. CCU’s
scriptural foundation comes from John 1:17: For the law was given
through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
CCU's mission is Christ-centered higher education transforming
students to impact the world with grace and truth.
A leader in higher education, the University has been consistently
ranked in the top 2 percent of colleges and universities nationwide
for its core curriculum by the American Council of Trustees and
Alumni. CCU has had nine consecutive years of enrollment growth and
has been named one of the five fastest-growing master’s granting
universities by The Chronicle of Higher
CCU offers more than 100 degree program options for traditional and
adult students through its College of Undergraduate Studies and
College of Adult and Graduate Studies. More than 9,000 students
attend the University on the main campus, in regional centers
throughout Colorado, and online.
Scripture states all Christians are called to serve Christ and to
minister to others. Because Christians are individuals with
different gifts and callings, we serve Christ in a variety of
ministry vocations. CCU invites you to explore how you may use your
calling and gifts at the University.
What is most appealing about working at CCU?
- Faith-friendly: CCU’s culture is unique to higher education.
Where else can you pursue academic excellence yet read the Holy
Bible, pray with teammates and students at work, and work to impact
our culture in support of Christian values?
- Convictionally Christian: As a university, we have an enduring
commitment to Christ, his kingdom and the truth of God’s Word.
- Live out your calling: We are a traditional evangelical
university where you can invest your God-given talents and
abilities alongside coworkers and teammates, while having a
profound influence on students as they deepen their relationship
with Jesus Christ.
- Equip students for kingdom work: You can be a part of helping
students discover their callings and preparing them for positions
of significant leadership in the church, business, government,
education, and other professions, as a key part of our University's
We're looking for candidates who have:
- Eight or more years of leadership experience as a financial
executive. Experience with advising leadership
teams. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) with a Master’s
degree in finance, accounting, or business is preferred. An
equivalent combination of experience and education will be
- High energy, are forward-thinking, and exercise creativity
while demonstrating the highest Christian and ethical standards.
Must project a professional image.
- A strategic vision for the accounting department and how to
project this vision to the University.
- Sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment, and
strong operational focus. Knowledge of Ellucian systems, Microsoft
Office – including excellent Excel skills, and other accounting
software is highly preferred.
- Effective organizational skills and self-directed team player
who will build positive relationships across the campus and in the
- Effective written and verbal communication skills with the
ability to collaboratively relate to people at all levels of an
- Excellent negotiation skills with the ability to build positive
relationships with vendors and external customers.
- Experience in contracts, lease agreements, and other like
Key Job Duties
- Contribute to CCU’s mission: Christ-centered higher education
transforming students to impact the world with grace and truth. In
this role, the Chief Budget Officer contributes to the mission by
ensuring that University finances are stewarded to uphold the
institution's mission and vision.
- Enthusiastically support CCU's mission, Statement of
Convictions, Statement of Faith, Lifestyle Covenant, and Strategic
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct, and evaluate the
organization's fiscal operating function and performance.
- Participate in the development of the University’s budgeting
plans and programs as a strategic partner.
- Evaluate and advise on the financial impact of long range
planning, introduction of new programs, strategies, and regulatory
- Develop credibility for the finance group by providing timely
and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports, and financial
trends in order to assist the Executive Vice President and other
senior executives in performing their responsibilities.
- Enhance and/or develop, implement, and enforce policies and
procedures of the organization by way of systems that will improve
overall operation, compliance, internal controls, and
- Provide technical financial advice and knowledge to others
within the financial discipline.
- Keep current with financial, regulatory and Internal Revenue
Service (IRS) rules and regulation to ensure University
- Maintain reporting relationships and various outside reporting,
such as the audited financial statements, Integrated Postsecondary
Education Data System (IPEDS), grant compliance, etc.
- Pursue continual improvement of the budgeting process and
budget compliance throughout the University through education of
department managers on financial issues impacting their
- Provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision
making issues and threats effecting the University.
- Optimize the handling of bank and deposit relationships and
initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash position and
- Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting
mechanism which includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating
- Advise from the financial perspective on contracts, leases, and
other opportunities for the University.
- Contribute to the on-going evaluation process of University
systems to refine processes and plan for continual efficiency and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
While performing the duties of this job, you may be required to
walk, stand, sit, reach with hands and arms, balance, stoop, speak
with clarity, and have appropriate vision and hearing capabilities.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
You may be required to work occasional irregular hours, including
some nights and weekends. Colorado Christian University expects all
faculty and staff to become a part of the University community by
participating in activities and events that occur on the campus
throughout the year, which may occur during evenings and
weekends. Some travel may be necessary.
What we offer our employees:
We offer competitive compensation and benefits packages to all
employees. Our benefit package includes: a tuition waiver program,
excellent healthcare, generous paid time off, matching 403(b)
retirement plan, and additional organizational paid benefits and
voluntary benefit offerings. Pay and benefits will be discussed in
more detail as candidates progress through the interview process.
Pay is assigned by reviewing a combination of job-related factors
that may include: internal/external pay equity, the salary
structure/pay grade, or a candidate’s qualifications/experience for
the job. A wage range posted is not a guarantee of a specific wage
and CCU reserves the right to make pay decisions based on economic
and equity considerations. CCU does not determine pay based on sex
or any other protected status.