Under the general direction of the Department Chair, the Assistant
Professor will cultivate a course of professional growth as a
teacher and scholar while performing service to the department,
college, university, and community. The successful candidate will
engage in scholarship activities, with priority for those that
engage and enhance the academic and professional development of
students. The successful candidate will teach in the
Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (PsyD) program and in the Bachelor
of Arts (BA-PSY) program. The successful candidate will have the
demonstrated ability to teach several of the following
At the graduate level:
- Developmental Aspects of Behavior
At the undergraduate level:
- Developmental Psychology
- Introduction to Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Cross-Cultural Psychology
- Research Methods
- Statistical Methods
The successful candidate is required to maintain competence in the
academic field by remaining current in their own and related
disciplines and in the most effective instructional methods. The
successful candidate will demonstrate effectiveness in the
synthesis, interpretation, and communication of new knowledge.
In addition to instructional and scholarly activity, the successful
candidate will participate in commencement, convocations and other
university-wide events, and department and collegiate meetings in
the week before the start of academic terms. Faculty presence
and engagement is expected during academic terms that faculty have
This is a full-time position with up to 24 credits of teaching over
the academic year that runs from mid-August to mid-May.
Hawai’i Pacific University (HPU) is a private, non-profit
institution of approximately 3,500 undergraduate and 800 graduate
students. Founded in 1965, it is Hawai’i’s largest private
university with its core campus in the heart of Honolulu’s business
- An earned doctorate in Developmental Psychology or
from a closely related area from an accredited university. (ABDs
must complete the degree by August 15,2022.)
- Demonstrated ability to teach undergraduate and/or graduate
courses in a university setting
- Desire to mentor students in their course work and career
- Demonstrated ability to engage in original research or
scholarship appropriate to the discipline.
- Demonstrated promise of institutional and professional service
beyond teaching and scholarship.
- COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: COVID-19
vaccination is a condition of employment for HPU. After
receiving a conditional offer of employment, prospective employees
are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with an
FDA-approved vaccine. HPU complies with federal and state
laws on reasonable accommodations related to this requirement.
- Demonstrated evidence of teaching effectiveness.
- Strong commitment to inclusivity and diversity, and ability to
interact effectively with diverse cultures and ethnic
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to network with community organizations and programs to
develop partnerships for the benefit of students, faculty, and the
- Interest and/or demonstrated record of active involvement in
faculty/student extracurricular activities (e.g., club
organizations, program-wide presentations).
- Interest in program review.
- Skilled use of educational technology
- Experience with program development, especially the
integration of cross-cultural principles across the psychological
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United
States. Visa sponsorship is not available for this
- Report to work obligations to support the department and may
require work during HPU’s winter and summer breaks.
- Must meet training and background check qualifications and
comply with the Protection of Minors policy.
- Able to teach classes scheduled during days, evenings, and
- Able to teach classes at multiple locations on Oahu.
- Must reside in the State of Hawaii.
- Successful candidate will be able to work in an environment
that utilizes excellent time and stress management
Key Responsibilities/Essential Job Functions:
Note: Percentages are
1. Teaching (60-80%)
- Teach up to 24 credits of undergraduate and graduate courses in
one or more academic subjects in area of discipline within a
- Develop a syllabus of course activities that meet the
requirements of the course description or program chair,
establishes appropriate student learning outcomes, and provides for
appropriate class activities throughout the semester.
- Plan and deliver individual classes that conform to the
syllabus and other requirements of the University.
- Demonstrate a command of the discipline and skill in presenting
it effectively in the context of an integrated education.
- Maintain accurate and complete records on student participation
and performance, use appropriate measures and evaluate student
performance on the basis of established student learning outcomes,
provide timely feedback to students and assign grades that are an
accurate and fair evaluation of student work.
- Submit grades and any other required documentation in a timely
- Administer student evaluations of faculty at the end of each
course, review evaluation summaries and meet with department chair
and dean to review.
- Post and maintain regular office hours at times reasonably
convenient to students. Serve as an advisor to students to
assist them in understanding the curriculum, especially within the
major, and mentor them as they plan their degree programs and
- In additional to formal course loads, bear a
fair share of the faculty responsibility for supervising
student research, professional internships, and independent
- Faculty not assigned to College of Professional Services (CPS)
may be required to teach up to two courses per academic year on a
Military Program campus, but no more than one per semester.
Scholarship and Professional Development
- Engage in research or scholarly projects appropriate for the
- Apply for and obtain, internal and external research
- Disseminate research findings through publication, conference
presentations, and invited talks.
- Contribute to institutional and infrastructure grant
- Keep abreast of new knowledge and other developments in the
field of psychology.
University Service (10-20%)
- Perform related duties such as advising students on academic
and vocational curricula, acting as advisor to student
organizations, mentor students, and providing office hours for
- Serve on faculty, college, and/or university committees.
- Regularly attend program/department, college, and university
- Assist in the recruitment of new students.
- Assist withco-curricular activities to include organization of,
participation in, or presentation of faculty forums or workshops;
advising and sponsorship of clubs and societies; participation in,
organization of, providing guidance and assistance to
extra-curricular or co-curricular university events such as
banquets, the literary magazine, the athletic program,
intercultural events, theatrical productions, guest speaker forums,
or graduation ceremonies.
- Colleges will further determine and articulate specific
expectations for university service.
Performs other related duties as
- Engage in community service by providing volunteer assistance
to an agency or organization, particularly as that assistance
derives from professional knowledge and expertise or provide pro
bono (unpaid professional) services to local, state, regional,
national or international organization.
- Community service is not required except in certain departments
when necessary to meet accreditation requirements as outlined in an
individual department’s promotion and review criteria.
- Actively participate as an effective member of a team by
completing assigned duties, accepting additional assignments or
This description is not designed to list all activities, duties or
responsibilities that may be required for this job.
Hawai'i Pacific University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
committed to fostering a diverse, equitable environment in which
faculty and staff can excel irrespective of race, color, national
origin, sex, disability, age, genetic information, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or any
other protected class covered by state and federal law. Hawai'i
Pacific University encourages applications from veterans and
individuals with disabilities. A pre-employment background
investigation is performed on candidates selected for
To apply, visit