Communications Officer (part-time)
The Communications Officer works as part of a team to operate the
Public Safety Communications Center at Bucknell University. The
person in this role will perform a full range of duties in a 24
hour communication center to maintain communications between Public
Safety personnel, the Bucknell community and external
This part-time, casual position will be generally scheduled to work
20 hours per week.
Job duties include but may not be limited
● Monitor and operate the surveillance
● Operate the NCIC/JNET (computerized index of criminal justice
information) system/computer to retrieve information for patrol
● Operate the emergency alert and notification systems.
● Perform all functions on the C-Cure Card Access System.
● Dispatch officers and personnel to all incidents, alarms, and
emergencies on campus.
● Maintain an accurate log of operations in the Informant System
according to Federal Communications regulations.
● Answer all routine and emergency telephone calls and provide
information to visitors at the Public Safety office as well as the
● Coordinate service and communicate, as necessary, with staff,
students, faculty and outside agencies and organizations.
● Retrieve and communicate all information in the CEMS Program for
Material Safety Data Sheets.
● Issue all equipment for lock up staff and contract
● Contact Student Medical Driver for transportation to medical
● Coordinate and contact Facilities for routine and emergency calls
● Submit Work Orders for repairs across campus as needed.
● Retrieve all student and employee vehicle information in the AIMS
● Monitor the fire, intrusion and panic alarms on campus and at
Bucknell owned off campus facilities.
● Monitor river levels for potential flooding and notify the proper
● High school diploma
● Strong written and communication skills and the ability to speak
clearly and distinctly.
● Ability to exercise sound judgment and work independently
● Ability to handle all types of emergencies and situations in a
calm, efficient and mature manner
● Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive
● Ability and willingness to learn and accurately follow all
policies of the University and procedures of the department.
● Experience operating computers
● Proficient and accurate typing and data entry skills
● Ability to work all shifts to support the 24/7 operation
● Ability to obtain Association of Public-Safety Communications
Officials (APCO) and Emergency Medical Dispatcher (EMD)
● Previous law
enforcement, security, safety or dispatch training or related