Job Vacancy Announcement
Science Lab Technician, Biological Sciences -FT
Full Time or Part Time
Hiring Salary Range
$40,619 - $44,681/Annually
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)
Regular or Temporary
Job Description Summary
Responsible for all phases of laboratory preparations including
preparing and organizing equipment, materials and supplies for the
Biological Sciences laboratories. Prepares laboratory materials,
supplies, and equipment in advance of need and supports the science
laboratory courses as directed. Maintains living specimens, tracks
inventory, follows all safety protocols and completes other duties
- Two years of full-time or part-time equivalent related
experience or (15) credit hours of college level course work in
science with an emphasis in biological science courses.
CRITERIA : The following criteria, which are not the sole criteria
used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review the
applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum
qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be
interviewed. Other information and observations made during the
interview process may be considered in the selection process.
Resume/CV and cover letter are required with the application.
Please ensure that your documents address the criteria listed
below for this position.
- Prepares, organizes and sets up laboratory materials, supplies
and equipment in accordance with the laboratory schedule and
- Maintains living specimens, including microorganisms and other
- Prepares reagents, stains, chemicals, standards, sterile media,
etc., in accordance with the protocols in the laboratory
- Assists with the training and development of work assignments
for Federal Work Study students, research students, and student
- Operates laboratory equipment: microscopes, analytical
balances, sterilizers, computers, etc. according to the protocols
in the operation manuals.
- Organizes and restocks the science laboratories prior to each
- Assists with updating and maintaining status reports and the
inventory of laboratory equipment and supplies.
- Disposes of all chemical and bio-hazardous waste properly and
follows all laboratory safety protocols.
- Communicates regularly with the supervisor, staff, and
instructors to ensure laboratory experiments are proceeding
according to the syllabus.
- Participates as a member of the staff, including attending
meetings and maintaining a high level of oral and written
communication and teamwork with the Senior Coordinator, staff and
- Maintains proficiency in current information technology, making
optimal use of available software.
- Troubleshoots primary/secondary repair and maintenance of
- Demonstrates proper laboratory safety protocols.
- Strives to increase student and faculty satisfaction with the
biological science laboratory experience.
- Observes the College’s policies and procedures.
- Performs related work as required
Is Background Check Required?
- Must be able to work the following schedule: Monday-Friday, 7
- Work schedule is subject to change based on department
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present
acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a
U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
Is the incumbent responsible for working with minor children or
directly engaging with minor children on campus?
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Background Check Statement
Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a safe
campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record
check, education verification, and when appropriate, a financial
(credit) report or driving history check.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Prince George’s Community College values the safety of its
students, faculty, and staff. As part of that commitment, the
College has announced effective October 21, 2021, all students,
faculty, and staff must be vaccinated against COVID -19 or tested
for the virus weekly. As a prospective or new employee, you will be
required to comply with this mandate and all the necessary safety
protocols, including wearing a mask. Please direct your questions
related to the vaccination, testing, mask mandates, and
requirements for exemptions to VMPO@pgcc.edu .
; you will receive an email acknowledging
receipt of your application, upon which time no further
communication occurs unless selected for an interview or the
position is filled. If recommended for hire, communication is
immediately sent to your references listed on your application.
Also, you will receive an email notification from HireRight
requesting you to submit authorization to complete a background
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following best describes your level of completed
education? (Education details must be included in your
- Master's Degree or above from an accredited
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college/university
- Associate's Degree from an accredited college/university
- One to two years of college credit (30 credit hours is
equivalent to one year)
- Less than 30 credits from an accredited college/university
- High School Diploma or GED
- None of the above
- * Min Qual: Do you have two years of full-time or part-time
equivalent related experience or (15) credit hours of college level
course work in science with an emphasis in biological science
- * Briefly describe your experience referenced in the previous
question. Do not enter 'See Resume'
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity? If you
selected 'Other' please indicate source:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2