Security Sensitive Position?
Hours of Work
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM M-F
Official TSU Title
PROGRAM ASSISTANT SHAPE (Health Specialist)
PROGRAM ASSISTANT SHAPE (Health Specialist)
Job Description Summary / TWC Summary
Under general supervision, the TSU SHAPE Initiative YES (Youth
& Young Adult Empowerment Services) program is a grant-funded
university and community-based partnership established to increase
engagement in care for racial and ethnic minorities youth and young
adults who are also at-risk for HIV or HIV positive. The TSU SHAPE
Initiative Program Assistant (Health Outreach Specialist) provides
health screenings, education, community referrals, and conducts
community outreach and engagement among Greater 3rd and 5th Ward
program participants. Work is performed under the direct
supervision of the Project Coordinator and performance is based
upon contribution to all program operations.
This is a Grant Funded position.
Essential Duties Summary
- Conducts HIV, Hepatitis-C, STI screenings with the provision of
general health and HIV / STI education and/or referrals to local
community agencies as appropriate.
- Provides support in maintaining safe sex practices reducing HIV
/ STI infection or re-infection.
- Implements evidence-based interventions (EBIs) in accordance
with program curriculum.
- Conducts intake, monthly follow-ups, and discharge assessments
face to face, virtually, or by phone.
- Maintains accountability for program equipment, supplies,
confidential client records, and performs quality management and
- Provides targeted outreach, recruitment, and coordination of
on-campus and external program activities and events.
- Must be comfortable and culturally competent to work with
special populations including the Lesbian Gay Bi-sexual Transgender
( LGBT ) community.
- Responsible for establishing trusting relationships with
community partners and program participants.
- Attends team meetings and required trainings as scheduled.
- Manages daily office operations, schedules appointments, and
answers phones as appropriate.
- Must have access to reliable and consistent transportation and
able to travel locally.
- Will require schedule flexibility to include some evenings and
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
$18.280160 - $21.9357
Bachelor’s degree or higher.
Valid Texas Driver’s License preferred.
Certification as Community Health Worker ( CHW ) or Certified
Health Education Specialist ( CHES ).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Federal, State, Local, and County laws.
- General policies, procedures, and practices.
- HIPAA Compliance.
- Mobile technology.
- Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, Survey Monkey, and
- HIV / STI and related services, Homeless, and Mental
Health/Substance Abuse community resources.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Multitasking and time management.
- Operating standard office equipment and mobile technology.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Analyze and interpret data.
- Prepare detailed reports.
- Work independently and as part of a team.
- Effective verbal and written communication.
- Secure and maintain human subjects and behavioral
prevention/intervention training certifications.
Six (6) months to one (1) year related experience.
A minimum of 6-months paid or volunteer experience working with HIV
/ AIDS and/or substance using populations.
Fluent in Spanish.
- Stoop, bend, kneel, and lift.
- Sitting or standing in one location.
- Use of manual dexterity and fine motor skill.
- Carry objects of light and moderate weight.
- Will require some evenings and weekends.
Desired start date
Position End Date (if temporary)
UA EEO Statement
It is the policy of Texas Southern University to provide a work
environment that is free from discrimination for all persons
regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin,
individuals with disability, sexual orientation, or protected
veteran status in its programs, activities, admissions or
employment policies. This policy of equal opportunity is strictly
observed in all University employment-related activities such as
advertising, recruiting, interviewing, testing, employment
training, compensation, promotion, termination, and employment
benefits. This policy expressly prohibits harassment and
discrimination in employment based on race, color, religion,
gender, gender identity, genetic history, national origin,
individuals with disability, age, citizenship status, or protected
veteran status. This policy shall be adhered to in accordance with
the provisions of all applicable federal, state and local laws,
including, but not limited to, Title VII of the Civil Rights
Manual of Administrative Policies and Procedures
Open Until Filled (overrides close field)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Open to all applicants.
Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor’s degree or higher?
- * Do you have six (6) months to one (1) year of related
- * Do you have a minimum of 6-months paid or volunteer
experience working with HIV/AIDS and/or substance using
- * Do you have a Certification as Community Health Worker (CHW)
or Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES)?
- * Are you fluent in Spanish?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Official Transcripts
- Other Document
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3