Reporting to the Office of the President and
collaborating with the executive team, the Director of
Institutional Research and Effectiveness promotes a culture of
innovation and continuous improvement by designing and implementing
data-driven solutions to support the University’s strategic
priorities. The Director enhances institutional performance
on issues including, but not limited to strategic and master
planning, development of degree programs, enrollment management,
grant development, academic and unit assessment, institutional
accreditation, and student success.
Leading a team of direct reports focused on
achieving strategic university objectives, the Director partners
with the university’s senior leadership to develop a strategic
institutional planning process and strengthen organizational
accountability. The Institutional Research and Effectiveness
team analyzes institutional data to assess institutional
performance and serve as a resource to colleagues. The
Director is responsible for preparing the University’s external
reporting of data for public information purposes and for
compliance reporting to Federal and State agencies as well as to
accrediting and program review entities.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND
- Collaborate with campus stakeholders to promote a culture of
data-informed decision making and continuous improvement.
- Design, plan, and conduct activities such as market research,
enrollment projections, retention studies, comparative
benchmarking, and rankings analyses.
- Manage the development and maintenance of centralized and
comprehensive institutional research databases and reporting
- Partner with Information Technology to build and maintain
robust underlying data structures that source and integrate
relevant data from enterprise systems of record.
- Enable access to a broad repository of institutional reports,
data models and dashboards designed to optimize data integrity,
facilitate consistent answers, minimize manual efforts, and promote
- Prepare and submit compliance reports to Federal (IPEDS) and
State (New Jersey Commission on Higher Education) agencies,
accrediting bodies (Middle States Commission on Higher Education,
NCAA, NCATE, etc.), common data set, and college guide
- Extract, verify and manipulate complex data sets, perform
statistical analysis of data, interpret results, and organize
insights into meaningful and actionable reports for internal and
- Participate in University-wide efforts to demonstrate
institutional effectiveness as required for continued accreditation
by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
- Manage prioritization of and timely response to internal and
external ad hoc requests for institutional data, surveys and
analyses. Provide data to University faculty and staff to support
proposals for external funding.
- Provide analytic advice and assistance to administrative and
academic units engaged in assessment and program evaluation.
- Recruit, manage, evaluate, and train team of professional
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any
- Master’s degree from accredited college or university in a
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in the Institutional
Research field at a post-secondary institution, including at least
3 years in a supervisory/management role in this field.
- Experience preparing and submitting reports containing
institutional data for Federal (IPEDS) and State agencies.
- Advanced ability to analyze and manipulate data within a
complex data environment using appropriate technologies and
demonstrated experience applying data analytic skills in the
Institutional Research field.
- Hands-on experience in advanced analytics and modeling,
including diverse quantitative/statistical techniques such as
multivariate statistical analysis, clustering and
- Demonstrated proficiency with Banner, Workday, and/or
comparable higher education administrative systems.
- Strong project management skills and organization skills.
- Supervisory/management experience in a related area.
- Ability to work with all levels of the university
- Demonstrated leadership in the areas of strategic planning,
assessment of institutional effectiveness, student learning
outcomes, and regional and specialized accreditation.
- Doctorate degree along with graduate-level training in research
methods, survey research, and advanced statistical analysis.
- Experience with large databases and quantitative analytical
tools, including any of the following SQL, SPSS, SAS, R or
- Experience delivering analyses using Tableau or similar
- Experience with text analytics.
PROCEDURE FOR CANDIDACY
Applicants should include a resume and cover letter
describing how their background, skills and education match the
needs of the University. When applying, please take a moment to
carefully read and follow the steps in the application