Assistant Director Academic Administration
Dean of the Faculty Office
Duration of Position:
Full year / Full time
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly
selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar
is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the
values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment
of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a
pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar
College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and
applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members
of historically underrepresented groups are especially
encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free
campus. Note: Vassar College has a universal vaccination
policy requiring a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees except
for those exempt for medical or religious reasons.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Academic Administration, the
Assistant Director assists with the administration of various
academic policies, practices, and processes. The primary role is to
work closely with the Assistant Dean for Academic Administration,
as well as the Dean of the Faculty Office staff, to provide
budgetary and human resources support to faculty and academic
departments. This includes both front-facing customer service
practices, as well as assisting with implementing and maintaining
human resources functions in the Vassar Workday system.
- Assists in the review, testing, and implementation of bi-annual
Workday releases and other system releases or patches; regression
test new releases.
- Helps to identify future Workday system enhancements or
functionality that may be beneficial to the academic administrative
processes of the College.
- Provides support for HR data systems, including researching
issues, unexpected results, or process flaws and recommending
solutions or alternate methods to meet system and workflow
- Provides support for operational procedures relating to various
aspects of faculty affairs, including, for example, academic
appointments, faculty and staff relocation, reimbursements,
professional travel, independent contractors, and other
- Works closely with the academic departments and programs to
provide support, not only to faculty members, but also to academic
- Maintains immigration records and oversees process for faculty
members who are not US citizens
- Ensures that the faculty data and information contained in the
HR system is accurate and up to date.
- Assists with managing academic budgets, which include but are
not limited to, funding for special research projects, specific
faculty endowments, budgets for experiential learning opportunities
(Intensives), and departmental operating budgets; providing
analytical support for forecasting, budget development, and faculty
- Manages and maintains faculty sabbatical eligibility
- Assists with the annual faculty planning and staffing
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in human resources
management, business administration, information systems, or
- A minimum of three years of human resource information system
(HRIS) or related experience required.
- Experience working with an enterprise human resource management
system (e.g., Workday, Banner, PeopleSoft, Cognos) with preference
for experience with Workday.
- Excellent time management, organizational, and interpersonal
skills, including written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple, high priority tasks and adjust to
shifting priorities while meeting deadlines.
- Self-motivated; able to work independently as well as with a
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new systems and
- Ability to handle highly sensitive data with integrity and the
utmost discretion and respect for confidentiality.
- Attends vigilantly to accuracy of data.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and, in particular,
advanced skills using Excel.
- Prior experience working closely with faculty members and/or in
academic affairs or faculty administration in a college or
university strongly preferred.
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to
attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3
professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format.
Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any
questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/2284.