OVERVIEW: The Head Football Coach is responsible for the
development and maintenance of an effective and
competitive NCAA Division II Football program. The
recruitment and retention of quality student-athletes in this
sport will be integral to this position. The head coach is
responsible for all aspects that relate to the
football program to include the ongoing development of the
student-athlete. The head coach will also be expected to
demonstrate the ability to promote the physical, intellectual,
and social growth of student-athletes. This position will also
include additional administrative duties and will be assigned
by the Director of Athletics.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Understand and comply with all rules and guidelines set forth by
the NCAA Division II, Central State University, and the
Central State University Athletic program’s policies and
• Provide a framework for student-athletes to perform to their
potential by teaching and developing skill levels and game
strategies for all team members during practice sessions
in preparation for their use during intercollegiate
competition while utilizing proper judgement in the
instruction and expectations while operating with the highest
possible safety standards observed.
• Teach and set expectations of appropriate team conduct during
competition, travel, practice and University event, and at any
other times when the team is representing the
• Develop teams which are competitive within the conference, region
and nationally by maximizing the student-athletes’ talents
while also teaching and promoting teamwork.
• Provide guidance to student-athletes through teaching life skills
and social responsibility in order to improve their physical,
intellectual and social maturity.
• Create an environment through instruction and modeling for
student-athletes to observe and learn integrity, camaraderie,
and respect in order to provide a positive environment for
• Serve as a resource to student-athletes navigating the balance of
academic and athletic demands appropriately.
• Foster University and community interest in the
• Articulate and contribute to the goals of the University and
• Act as a professional and positive representative of the Central
• Provide support directly to student-athletes and create a network
of support within the team and through the usage of other
campus support entities.
• Plan, organize and manage all in-season and out-or-season
practices and competitions.
• Oversee conduct and discipline of the team.
• Retain student-athletes on the team, and at Central State
University Minimum Qualifications QUALIFICATIONS:
• Expertise in the sport having a minimum of 5 years of progressive
coaching experience on the intercollegiate level
• Knowledge of and compliance with the NCAA Division II
mission and philosophies (preferred)
• Possess all current certifications required for this
• Budgeting background. (preferred)
• Human Relations Skills (excellent organizational, communication
and leadership skills, whether
dealing with individuals or groups and an ability to work well with
• Ability to effectively analyze and teach the fundamental skills
and strategies of the sport.
• Ability to successfully motivate all associated with the
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Positive attitude towards the University and its intercollegiate
programs is essential.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Computer Skills: (Excel Spreadsheet. Word, Hudl, E-Mail,
• Knowledge of budgeting and budget management.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s or Professional