The Music Department of Moody Bible Institute seeks to appoint a
full-time junior or senior faculty member to its Chicago campus in
preparation for the 2022-2023 academic year. Candidates should
possess significant experience in choral conducting as well as
worship and church music ministry. Demonstrated experience in
advancing community engagement, forming partnerships with local
urban churches, and preparing musical content for broader audiences
using online platforms is also expected.
Teaching responsibilities will consist of 12 hours per semester
and may include conducting courses and music ministry courses, such
as contemporary worship leadership and church music history and
philosophy. Courses in music ministry will be informed by building
of relationships with and consultation of the local church and
parachurch ministries with a specific focus on developing skilled
musicians and worship leaders for the Christian Church. Potential
secondary teaching areas, based on the faculty member’s areas of
expertise, include, but are not limited to gospel choir, jazz
music, music history, music theory, music technology, and applied
voice or guitar.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the
- Prepare syllabi and teach students in assigned courses in music
- Direct the Chorale, an auditioned 45 member SATB ensemble with
diverse array of styles
- Foster collaboration with faculty leading other ensembles such
as Worship Collectives, Gospel Choir and Campus Orchestra
- Further community engagement, partnerships with local urban
churches and prepare music content for broader audiences using
- Determine instructional outcomes appropriate to each course
taught and assess student academic and/or skill achievement related
to those outcomes. Such outcomes are to be consistent with
departmental mission and objectives.
- Be prompt in submission of grades, reports, and other required
- Serve as academic advisor to assigned students
- Participate in the development, implementation, and maintenance
of a program assessment plan.
- Work with the program head and field chair to implement changes
in program curriculum based upon assessment results.
- Provide the field chair with professional goals and objectives
for the annual performance review.
- Attend designated chapels and events, eat meals with students
in the Student Dining Room and engage in informal time with
students as opportunity permits, in order to further the sense of
community, shared values and experiences.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in Music
- Prior demonstrated expertise in standard repertoire and
multiple styles of church music, including contemporary worship
- The candidate must demonstrate a personal commitment to the
Christian faith and a desire to integrate faith into all aspects of
- Desire to grow in their spiritual lives and develop as mentors
- Respect and appreciation for the diversity and contribution of
- Able to work in the US legally without sponsorship
- Doctorate in Music
- Advanced degree in Choral Conducting
- Undergraduate teaching experience
Moody Bible Institute is a Christian-based Higher Education.
Music at Moody exists to develop musicians who are equipped to
advance the cause of Christ through music ministry in the Church,
and the outreach and engagement of communities in Chicago and
around the world.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This
role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers,
phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Hours: Vary Monday-Friday. Minimal travel is expected for this