Custodial, Student Life/Services
Erb Memorial Union
Appointment Type and Duration:
$13.73 - $17.90 per hour
Review of Applications Begins
To ensure consideration, please apply by October 20, 2021;
applications reviewed on an ongoing basis until all vacancies
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply for this position, please submit an online
What you will do:
You'll perform a wide range of custodial tasks, including cleaning
bathrooms and hallways, sweeping, mopping, dusting, spot-cleaning
furniture and carpets, and disinfecting high-touch surfaces. You
will also be cleaning floors using an auto scrubber at times, all
while providing outstanding customer service to building users
which include students, parents, community members, and the
You'll work with a group of colleagues and as part of a team that
values teamwork and customer service.
Two schedules available: Sunday-Thursday 8:00pm-4:30am and
Both schedules are eligible to receive a $1.00 shift differential
for all or a portion of hours worked (any hours after 6:00p or
before 6:00a or Saturday and Sunday)
What you need to qualify (minimum
One year of custodial experience.
For success in this position, you will have...
- Basic knowledge of commercial cleaning equipment and
- Ability to perform duties in a way that advances and supports
the mission of the department and the University.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse team environment and
create effective relationships for problem-solving and positive
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain a safe and safety-conscious
- Ability to maintain a respectful workplace and model a positive
and proactive attitude.
- Ability to model the highest ethical standards.
- Superior customer service skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to understand and work from written and oral
- Ability to respond to unexpected interruptions with flexibility
and to re-prioritize work appropriately.
It is preferred, but not required, to have... (preferred
- Experience with commercial cleaning equipment and industrial
- Experience maintaining floors in a large facility.
- Experience prioritizing work duties and working independently
with little to no supervision.
- Experience using email as a communication tool.
Why you should work for us:
- We provide excellent benefits including health, dental,
retirement plans, and paid time off.
- UO offers a tuition discount for eligible employees or family
members in participating programs at UO or other Oregon public
- We offer financial assistance for professional
- We are a unionized work environment that values
- You will work with a variety of people.
- You get to work in a building in the heart of campus with a
wide variety of offerings.
Who We Are:
The Erb Memorial Union a department within Student Life provides an
array of services and programs to help students benefit fully from
their educational programs and to help the University carry out its
mission of research, teaching, and service. The EMU provides an
opportunity for enhancing the out-of-classroom experience of the
student body, culturally, socially, educationally, and
recreationally. Through full and complete utilization of its
personnel (both students and staff), facilities, and services, the
EMU shall provide such programs as shall complement and supplement
the academic program of the University.
This is an essential position and you'll need to make a reasonable
effort to report to work at times that the university may be closed
due to bad weather.
Work conditions may include lifting, operating machinery, and
standing for long periods of time.
FLSA Exempt: No
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful
completion of a background inquiry.
This is a classified position represented by the SEIU Local 503,
Oregon Public Employees Union.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits
package to eligible employees, including health insurance,
retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about
benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative
action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance
with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals
to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected
status, including veteran and disability status. The University is
committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and
employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in
connection with the application process, please contact us at
email@example.com or 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex,
national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status,
disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity,
and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment
practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and
policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be
referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights
Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information,
related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares
an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and
services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is
available online at http://police.uoregon.edu/annual-report.
To apply, visit https://careers.uoregon.edu/en-us/job/528327/custodian