Payroll Manager (Accounting Services)- District
Interested candidates must apply by the deadline listed below by
8:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.
Accounting Services (D)
Physical location of the position:
$ 106,598 - $ 129,778
Is this position categorically (grant) funded?
Under the supervision of the area administrator, plans,
administers, and manages all daily operational functions of the
payroll department including compliance with State and federal
laws, regulations, District policies, and collective bargaining
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: a bachelor's degree from an accredited
institution in accounting, finance, business administration, public
administration or related field and three years of increasingly
responsible payroll and/or accounting experience, two years of
which were in a lead or supervisory capacity.
A master's degree in accounting, finance, business administration,
public administration or related field, and two years of experience
in a payroll office at an institution of higher education or other
public agency with collective bargaining agreements is
1. California Community College accounting and payroll processing
methods, practices, principles, and terminology.
2. Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulatory codes,
3. CalPERS and CalSTRS regulations, procedures, and reporting
4. Financial applications software.
5. Commonly used word processing and electronic spreadsheet
6. English language and grammar.
7. All aspects and procedures of the District's payroll office or
similar environment, including compliance with the Budget and
1. Carryout complex oral and written instructions
2. Exercise judgment and initiative.
3. Work under the pressure of recurrent deadlines with frequent
4. Constructively supervise the work of others, recommend, and
implement goals, objectives, and practices for providing effective
and efficient services.
5. Demonstrate proficiency with modern office equipment.
6. Demonstrate proficiency and efficacy in verbal and written
7. Work cooperatively and effectively with faculty, administrators,
staff, and representatives from outside organizations.
8. Maintain an understanding of current ideas, trends, rules, and
regulations pertaining to payroll and retirement areas.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY: Candidate must demonstrate clear evidence
of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic,
socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of
community college students, staff, and the community.
Co-workers, District Controller, Associate Vice Chancellor, Vice
Chancellor, Payroll Technicians, other departmental staff.
Normal office environment.
This is an exempt position and is not subject to overtime.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the
various types of work that may be performed. The omission of
specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the
position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to
1. Plans, organizes, oversees, and coordinates the timely and
accurate preparation, maintenance, processing, and analysis of the
District's payroll function.
2. Develops and maintains the integrity of the payroll processing
systems, including, but not limited to, accurate and confidential
payroll and attendance records, pay calculations, retirement
reporting, time sheets, new hire information, and voluntary
3. Provides leadership in evaluating and disseminating pertinent
payroll information; implements new payroll/retirement rules,
regulations, and guidelines from State and Federal regulatory
agencies; recommends and develops departmental policies and
4. Assigns, directs, and evaluates performance of all direct
reports; provides assistance in the completion of their
assignments; establishes goals and objectives for assigned areas of
responsibility in concert with the strategic plan and
administrative program review.
5. Prepares periodic reports, schedules, and reconciliations;
participates in year-end closing process and annual audit.
6. Performs various audit and verification procedures related to
processing the District's payroll.
7. Provides assistance and clarification to internal and external
customers in the interpretation of the payroll system, policies,
practices, and information requests.
8. Receives, investigates, and responds to difficult and sensitive
issues in a professional manner; identifies and reports findings;
takes corrective action as necessary.
9. Communicates and coordinates with other pertinent departments
and bargaining units on matters pertaining to employee
10. Participates in local, regional, and state activities to
promote Riverside Community College District and the community
11. Performs other related responsibilities as may be
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is a Classified Management position with twelve-month
contracts. Paid vacation, 22 days annually; and paid accruable sick
leave, 12 days annually. A pro-rata reduction will be made for
employees working less than full-time and less than 12 months. The
District provides a health and welfare benefit package for
employees and legal qualifying dependents.
The work location and assignment within a job classification is
determined by the District and may be subject to change.
All offers of employment will be contingent upon the availability
of funds and approval by the Board of Trustees.
The Riverside Community College District is an equal opportunity
employer and recognizes the need to provide reasonable
accommodations to employees with disabilities. For more
information, contact (951) 222-8039.
The Riverside Community College District complies with all federal
and state rules and regulations and does not discriminate on the
basis of ethnic group identification, national origin, religion,
age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, color,
ancestry, genetic information, sexual orientation, physical or
mental disability, or any characteristic listed or defined in
Section 11135 of the Government Code or any characteristic that is
contained in the prohibition of hate crimes set forth in
subdivision (1) of Section 422.6 of the California Penal Code, or
any other status protected by law. This holds true for all District
employment opportunities. Inquiries regarding compliance and/or
grievance procedures may be directed to the District's Title IX
Officer/Section 504/ADA Coordinator. Harassment of any
employee/student with regard to ethnic group identification,
national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender
expression, race, color, ancestry, genetic information, sexual
orientation, physical or mental disability, or any characteristic
listed or defined in Section 11135 of the Government Code or any
characteristic that is contained in the prohibition of hate crimes
set forth in subdivision (1) of Section 422.6 of the California
Penal Code, or any other status protected by law, is strictly
prohibited. The Title IX Officer, Section 504/ADA Coordinator for
the District is Ms. Lorraine Jones, 3801 Market Street, Riverside,
CA 92501. Telephone Number is: (951) 222-8039.
Required Applicant Documents:
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Optional Applicant Documents:
Letter of Recommendation 1
Letter of Recommendation 2
Letter of Recommendation 3
Bachelors or Equivalent Transcript
Masters or Equivalent Transcript
Effective Employment Date:
Anticipated start date: November 2021 or after
*It is anticipated that first screening of applications will occur
sometime during the 1st or 2nd week of November 2021.
Please note: The selection process typically concludes within four
to six weeks from the closing date. There are, however, exceptions
to this general guideline. Status updates will be made throughout
the process. Please refer to your account for any updates to the
status of your application.
* An electronic, RCCD on-line application must be completed to be
considered. All portions of the application must be entirely filled
out with all information qualifying an applicant for the position.
Only information on the official RCCD application (not resumes)
will be considered to determine whether an applicant meets the
minimum requirements for the position for which he/she is
* Only electronic, on-line applications are accepted. All
supporting materials, required or optional, must also be in
electronic formats and attached to the electronic, on-line
application when applying. Supporting materials are only accepted
as Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) or Microsoft Word files and must be less
than 2 MB in size.
* An application will not be considered complete unless all
Required Documents are electronically attached to the application
by the Application Deadline date. An incomplete file may subject
the candidate to disqualification.
* Paper applications and supporting materials WILL NOT be
* Letters of reference must be non-confidential and submitted
electronically when applying on-line.
* Interested candidates must apply by the deadline listed above by
8:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.
* The Riverside Community College District does not require testing
at the initial application filing period. As you progress through
the selection process, you may be required to perform a job-related
test based on the needs of the work area for which you are being
* The District will make reasonable accommodations for applicants
with disabilities. Applicant should contact Human Resources and
Employee Relations at (951) 222-8595 for assistance.
Application Types Accepted:
To Apply, visit: