Department: Enrollment Management
Reports to: Vice President and Dean of
Supervises: Registrar’s Office Staff
Internal Contacts: Students, Faculty,
External Contacts: Parents, National
and International Agencies
Employment Status: Full-Time; Exempt
Manhattan School of Music, one of the world’s preeminent,
independent conservatories, seeks an experienced Registrar who is
systematic and meticulous in their work and creative and visionary
in their approach. The successful candidate will have demonstrated
a commitment to supporting student learning, success, and
persistence in a college/conservatory atmosphere through thoughtful
innovation, system-literacy, data-stewardship, and collaboration.
Preferably, the candidate will have had experience working with a
higher education community and with a focus on performing or visual
arts. Thoughtful review of current practices, industry knowledge, a
commitment to leveraging technology and systems, and a hands-on
approach will be necessary to improve and sustain processes,
efficiency, and the student experience at MSM.
The Registrar will report to MSM’s VP-Dean of
Enrollment Management with a dotted-line report to the Dean of
Academic Affairs, and will collaborate with
the Director of Enrollment, Director
of Financial Aid, and Director of International
Student Services to support student and
faculty satisfaction and success. The Registrar will
partner with MSM faculty and administrative leaders to nurture and
support a community that values diversity of individuals,
curriculum, and academic and artistic planning. As MSM expands its
partnerships and degree offerings, the Registrar will provide
academic support in these areas as well as an innovative
approach to MSM’s evolving musical and education offerings.
Core duties include maintenance of academic
records, student advising and degree auditing, degree
conferral, maintenance of the Jenzabar EX student
information system, institutional
reporting, and ensuring compliance with all state and
federal regulations related to enrollment reporting and to student
About Manhattan School of Music
Founded as a community music school in 1918, today MSM is
recognized for its 990 superbly talented undergraduate and graduate
students who come from more than 50 countries and nearly all 50
states; its innovative curricula and world-renowned artist-teacher
faculty that includes musicians from the New York Philharmonic, the
Met Orchestra, and the top ranks of the jazz and Broadway
communities; and a distinguished community of accomplished,
award-winning alumni working at the highest levels of the musical,
educational, cultural, and professional worlds.
The school is dedicated to the personal, artistic, and
intellectual development of aspiring musicians, from its
Precollege students through those pursuing doctoral studies.
Offering classical, jazz, and musical theatre training, MSM grants
a range of undergraduate and graduate degrees.
- Provide leadership, mentorship, and direct supervision to all
Registrar’s Office staff.
- Create an inclusive, respectful, and professional work
- Collaborate with Directors within the Enrollment Management
areas to improve student satisfaction, success and persistence, and
to create a culture of open communication and departmental
- Work closely with the VP-Dean of Enrollment Management to
ensure accurate student numbers, track leaves of absence, and
report graduation statistics.
- Work closely with the Dean of Academic Affairs to organize and
administer records, oversee registration and graduation functions,
including transcript evaluations, grading, registration and
advisement for all students in MSM’s collegiate degree and
- Organize, oversee, and participate in course registration
process each semester, including development of class schedule,
academic advising activities, and degree auditing.
- Advise students and regularly review their academic planning
and progress at MSM.
- Work with partner institutions, including Teacher’s College
Columbia University, Barnard College, members of the Global
Conservatoire, and Exchange Program partners to facilitate
cross-registration in partner programs.
- Maintain training documentation and office procedure
- Manage the departmental budget.
- Coordinate the publication of the annual Course Catalog.
- Play a leadership role in executing changes approved
by the Curriculum Committee and participate in
the Academic Progress Committee.
- Organize year-end student jury examination in collaboration
with MSM’s department chairs.
- Manage and coordinate faculty textbook and supplemental course
materials requirements within the School’s registration system;
provide training and assistance to faculty for self-entry of this
information in the faculty portal.
Degree Conferral and Graduation
- Oversee final graduation audits, degree conferrals, and
issuance of diplomas.
- Coordinate regular graduation and degree progress reviews, and
communicate directly with students regarding unresolved degree
- Conduct regular degree audits throughout the year, and follow
up with pending graduates to coordinate the development of degree
- Oversee online transcript requests, degree verifications, and
- Conduct transfer credit review with the Dean of Academic
Affairs during the admission process to communicate clear transfer
level before new student admission confirmation.
- Maintain meticulous data in the student information system,
Jenzabar EX, performing regular audits and building in checks and
balances to ensure data integrity.
- Continually evaluate and assess office procedures and
technology to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Maintain and continually improve upon the functionality of the
Jenzabar EX student information system, as it impacts degree
progress, course catalog and degree audit functionality, and
- Oversee updates to student portal to provide timely information
- Standardize system literacy on the staff.
- Ensure confidentiality, security, and accuracy of all student
- Collect, record, maintain, and report student records within
FERPA guidelines (g., grades, registration data, transcripts);
enforce and inform other staff and faculty of these
- Monitor regulatory changes, research compliance-related
questions, and disseminate information and train Registrar’s staff
and other institutional constituents on new regulatory
- Oversee the collection and reporting of data for IPEDS, NYSEDS,
and Middle States annual reports; as well as other surveys on an
- Report to the National Student Clearinghouse.
- Exemplary interpersonal, oral, and written communication
- Ability to communicate effectively, efficiently, and in a
timely manner with students and faculty regarding policies,
deadlines, and other matters.
- A personal commitment to confidentiality, trust, and
- Knowledge of and ability to enforce academic policies and
requirements in accordance with institutional, State, and
- Knowledge of state and federal academic records
- Initiative to follow through with tasks and follow up on
- Demonstrated ability to practice analysis and sound judgement
under competing deadlines.
- Track record of motivating staff, achieving goals, and creating
a student-focused culture of service.
- Extensive experience with SIS databases. Familiarity with
Jenzabar suite of products, especially Jenzabar EX, is highly
- Demonstrated ability in MS Word and Excel and ability to learn
new technology quickly.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- 5-7 years progressively responsible experience in a Registrar’s
office including experience with managing staff and student
- Experience in a small college/conservatory setting and/or
working with students in the performing or visual arts.
- Proficiency with using Registrar and student information
systems, including using database management systems and data
- Experience working with an international student population
Send letter of application and résumé via email to:
Melissa Cocco, VP-Dean of Enrollment
No phone calls, please.
Equal employment and equal educational opportunity have been
and will continue to be fundamental principles at Manhattan School
of Music, where employment and enrollment are based upon personal
capabilities and qualifications without discrimination or
harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, the status of being
transgender, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship or
veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected
by law. Manhattan School of Music does not permit retaliation
against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice or
participate in an investigation.