Paralegal/Legal Assistant, Full-time
The Paralegal/Legal Assistant supports the General Counsel by
performing responsible, confidential, and complex administrative
and paralegal functions.
- Draft and review legal documents.
- Assist with internal investigations and/or preparation of
records for litigation files:
- Compile, organize and label documents responsive to
- Draft and/or review discovery responses;
- Compile and prepare exhibits for pleadings, position
statements, claim letters, depositions, etc.;
- Support investigations by:
- Researching and collecting factual information using internal
resources, contacts, public records and on-line resources;
- Collecting, reviewing and analyzing documents and data.
- Assist the General Counsel with development of training and
- Develops and maintains policy and processes for all open
records requests coming to the Office of General Counsel as
required under the laws of the State of Missouri. Establishes and
maintains an online process for making open records requests.
Assesses and responds appropriately to all open records requests.
Interacts with all offices across campus to coordinate records
requests, establishes protocols and processes, tracks timelines for
requests, provides records compatible with state and University
requirements, monitors costs and billing.
- Provides support and facilitates larger projects managed by
others and may manage less-complex projects.
- Provide reception, answer telephones, and other clerical or
administrative support for the General Counsel.
- Support special projects and initiatives and perform other
duties as assigned.
- Associate’s Degree in Paralegal Studies or its equivalent
experience with a minimum work experience of two plus years as a
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and
at least three years of experience from which comparable knowledge
and skills can be acquired is necessary.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with a strong attention to
detail and the ability to manage multiple responsibilities.
- Ability to understand written legal material.
- Ability to work independently and complete assignments in a
- Excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills
- Intermediate to Advanced Proficiency of GoogleDocs, SharePoint,
Word, Excel and PowerPoint, document management systems, and Adobe
- Respect for, and maintenance of, confidential and private
- Demonstrated ability to provide high levels of customer service
internally and externally.
- Professional and collaborative attitude.
- Proven organizational skills in a fast-paced environment;
ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects.
- Independent, action-oriented thinker who is able to
successfully undertake and complete projects and major tasks with a
minimum of supervision.
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction
with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to
exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience as a paralegal or
- Certified Paralegal, Certified Legal Assistant, or Professional
Paralegal through an ABA Paralegal Program or obtained
certification through NALA, NFPA, or NALS .
- Experience or familiarity working with higher education
institutions, education and employment laws, and state and federal
Sedentary work; exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally
and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to
lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the
human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs
are sedentary if walking and standing are required only
occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Occasional work before or after the regular workday may be required
to meet deadlines or complete time-sensitive projects.
Hours of Work
37.5 hours per week
Monday – Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm
Pay commensurate with experience and certifications. Pay rate
begins at $20.00/hr
Open Until Filled