Library Services Assistant
Internal Position Title
Library Services Assistant
The College of Lake County is currently looking for a Library
to join the Library Department. Under the
administrative supervision of the Dean of Academic Success, and the
functional supervision of the Manager of Library Services, this
position provides services to library patrons by staffing the
circulation desk, answering questions and providing direction,
handling library material transactions, and assisting with
collection maintenance tasks.
CLC offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits that currently
includes BlueCross/BlueShield of Illinois health, Delta dental and
Superior vision insurance plans, tuition support for employees and
qualified family members, three retirement plans, disability, group
and supplemental life insurance, health and dependent care flexible
spending account plans, a four-day work week in the summer (Fridays
off!), generous vacation, sick and personal time off and 13 paid
holidays each year.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Windows operating
- Proven ability to work effectively and constructively with
persons of diverse cultures, language groups, and abilities;
demonstrate sensitivity to and ability to work with the diverse
academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of
community college students, faculty, and staff, including those
with disabilities; establish and maintain effective working
relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Experience working in a library, preferably in public
- Experience with an Integrated Library System, preferably with
- LTA Certificate or coursework toward certification.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
Expected Start Date
Special Instructions Summary
Total Hours per week
Monday – Friday, 9:45 a.m. – 6:15 p.m.
Software Testing Required
Excel, MS Word
Interview Process Requirements
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has
a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad
spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with
disabilities. EOE /AA/M/F/D/V
Summary of Essential Functions
Student/Customer Service: 80%
Department Operations/Processes: 15%
- Serve students, staff, faculty, and the public with checking
out, checking in, renewing library materials, and assist with
account inquiries and issues.
- Answer questions and refer to appropriate staff and departments
throughout the college in a face-to-face setting, by phone, and
- Issue new and replacement library cards and/or student
- Assist in reconciling accounts with money owed in a
face-to-face setting, by phone, and email.
- Answer general questions; provide basic information to students
and connect them with other departments when necessary.
- Place and/or remove service indicators on student records as
necessary to restrict or allow services.
- Basic troubleshooting of library equipment and referral to
appropriate individuals or departments for repair or
- Fulfill patron holds by pulling indicated items, communicating
with staff at other campus locations, routing materials to the
appropriate campus for pick up, and clearing hold shelves of
outstanding items as needed.
- Shelf reading as assigned to ensure that library materials are
in the correct order using Library of Congress shelving rules.
- Keep library shelves and materials clean and orderly, regularly
re-shelve and shift materials as needed for accessibility, and
perform inventory functions as directed.
- Follow opening and/or closing procedures as outlined in the
- At direction of the Manager of Library Services, maintain a
portion of the equipment or reserve collection including, but not
limited to, creating cataloging records, tracking usage, predicting
need, and communicating pertinent information to management,
students, staff, and faculty.
- Provide staffing coverage at other campuses to ensure
continuity of operation and services.
- Performs additional responsibilities, tasks, and duties as
determined by the department supervisor.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT :
Ability to continuously sit and interact with the public
(internal/external). Ability to walk, stand, bend, squat, climb,
kneel, twist, lift (0-50 lb.), lift (50+ lb.), carry (0-50 lbs.),
carry (50+ lbs.), push (0-300 lbs.) occasionally
Posting Specific Questions - supplemental questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a high school diploma or equivalent?
- * Are you proficient in Microsoft Office and Windows?
- * Do you have experience working in a library, preferably in
- * Do you have experience with Integrated Library System,
preferably with Sierra?
- * Are you bilingual in Spanish and English?
- * Do you have a LTA certificate or coursework toward
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript 1