The University of Bridgeport is seeking candidates for the position
of Academic Advisor.
Reporting to the Director of Academic
he Academic Advisor serves as the primary guide
to ensure that students meet their educational goals and
successfully complete their path to graduation by monitoring and
promoting academic progress and success, advising students on
university policies and procedures, program and degree
requirements, and providing a high level of service to remove
barriers inside and outside the classroom.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
QUALIFICATIONS FOR POSITION:
- Maintains a caseload of assigned Advising Center participants
for individual advising, counseling, and personal development
activities by conducting needs assessments of participants and
coordinating the development and implementation of action and
educational plans for each participant, monitoring, evaluating, and
reporting on assigned participants’ academic progress, intervening
with appropriate support services when necessary, and referring to
appropriate on- and off-campus support services as needed.
- Provides prescriptive and developmental advisement to students
in accordance with University academic policies and
- Assists assigned students in the development of academic
schedules appropriate for the stated educational goals.
- Assists students seeking academic information; assists
pre-majors in the selection of academic majors.
- Assists students with registering for courses and provides
support for financial aid and bursar inquiries. Directs students to
the appropriate offices as needed.
- Directs students to resources within the University, such as
the Career Center, Academic Resource Center, Health Services,
Counseling and Disability Services as appropriate.
- Ensures the effectiveness of the advising process by
maintaining advising notes for all assigned advisees. Compiles,
completes, and documents intake interviews and skill area
assessments, and maintains accuracy of files with clear and updated
materials on contacts each semester.
- Represents the Advising Center by establishing and maintaining
working relationships with University staff and faculty by serving
on committees, providing workshops, and participating in staff
meetings and trainings.
- Facilitates awareness of Advising Center by promoting the
department’s services through informational presentations to
faculty, staff, and prospective students.
- Assists with the creation, implementation, and execution of
departmental and University policies and procedures, and with the
collection of data for reporting and assessment purposes.
- Remains current and competent in student advisement through
self-directed professional reading, develops professional contacts
with colleagues, and attends training and/or courses required by
- Contributes to a work environment that encourages the respect
for, knowledge of, and development of skills to engage with
individuals of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- A Master’s degree in psychology, education, higher education,
counseling, or related field is required.
- A minimum of one year of academic advising experience is
preferred, where knowledge of federal, state, and higher education
policies and procedures has been gained, or one year of university
employment in which a thorough knowledge of academic programs and
support services was acquired.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills,
interpersonal skills (particularly in working with a diverse
student population), organizational and management skills are
- Experience making public presentations.
- Some evening and weekend hours may be required (incumbents must
be willing and able to be flexible with their working hours).
- Experience and knowledge of diagnostic and career assessment
materials and knowledge of learning strategies and accommodations
for diverse populations, including academically disadvantaged
students is preferred.
- A working knowledge of computer applications is required;
previous experience working with Colleague and WebAdvisor
- Teaching experience is preferred.
NOTE: The above description is intended to describe the general
nature and level of work to be performed by the Academic
It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of
all responsibilities of the position. You will devote your full
time and best efforts to the performance of your various job duties
and will observe any and all policies, rules and regulations that
the University may now have or shall hereafter establish.