The University of Bridgeport is seeking candidates for the position
of IT Desktop Support Specialist
. This Desktop Support
Specialist reports to the User Services Manager and will work with
a team of Specialists in support of all faculty, staff and students
using PC’s, mobile devices and telephone systems owned by the
University of Bridgeport. The critical responsibility of this
individual is to provide responsive, professional, knowledgeable
and excellent incident resolution to clients while following
established protocols. This position is located in Bridgeport,
Prim ary Responsibilities
include, but are not
limited to, the following tasks:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Provide responsive, professional, knowledgeable and excellent
support to users experiencing problems with technology and
- Provide technical, operations and training support to users,
remotely, either by telephone or on-site relative to PC hardware
and software packages.
- Identify, research and resolve technical problems. Perform
hardware diagnostics and coordinate repairs.
- Maintain IT asset inventory and life cycle, from deployment to
- Support, monitor, test and troubleshoot hardware and software
problems. Perform manual/automatic backups as needed.
- Document all incidents reported by users via an incident
management system to maintain historical records and related
problem documentation as well as online knowledge base.
- Create documentation for use by the technology team and for
user training purposes.
- Educate the users on the best use of technology through formal
and informal educational sessions.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Superior organization, prioritization, and self-motivation
- Strong computer literacy skills with the Microsoft Office
- Ability to work collaboratively with ethnically, culturally,
and socially diverse students, staff, faculty, and other external
- Ability to listen to constituents and to understand and respond
positively to their requests;
- Ability to adapt to changing assignments and multiple
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and successfully meet
- Ability to supervise including scheduling and supervising
student employees as directed
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds, and pull a cart.
- Use one or two hands to grasp, move, or assemble objects.
- Use muscles to lift, push, pull, or carry heavy objects.
- Bend, stretch, twist, or reach out.
- See details of objects that are more than a few feet away.
- See differences between colors, shades, and brightness.
Pref erred Qualifications:
- Minimum five (5) years of progressive, practical, hands-on
technical customer service experience.
- An Associate's degree (or higher) in a technology related
subject, or technical institute degree/certificate or equivalent
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft operating systems, Macintosh
(OS 10.x) support, Windows and Mac based software applications as
well as administrative environments such as Active Directory,
- 2016, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop, Internet Explorer, Edge,
Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, PC hardware, Android and
- Understanding of basic networking technology and Ethernet
communication, hardware and software configuration of printers, PC
workstations, laptops, tablets and other similar peripheral
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve issues on a desktop
- The ability to communicate information and ideas so others will
- Asset tracking and image creation and maintenance for mass
- Demonstrated experience quickly learning new technologies and
- Proven track record of meeting deadlines and service level
objectives and demonstrating good judgment on when and to whom to
- Excellent organizational and follow-up skills with strong
attention to detail are required.
- Proven experience at interacting positively with management and
co-workers over various communication channels, including
in-person, over the phone, via email and over instant
- Experience in writing clear, concise technical documentation
and clear, accurate, non-technical summaries.
- Experience working with an incident management (ticketing)
system, round-robin phone support system and providing support to
- Must be able to work independently and have proven experience
as a productive member of a team.
Some evenings and weekends may be required
(This job description does not constitute an employment
agreement between the employer and employee. It is used as a guide
for personnel actions and is subject to change by the employer as
the needs of the employer and requirements of the job
- Experience with various business/higher education applications
(CRM, SharePoint, Blackboard, Canvas etc).
- Using WebAdvisor and Colleague WebUI.
- Experience with Microsoft Systems Center Configuration
- Experience with JAMF and various MacOS/iOS deployment and
- Experience building and maintaining system images.
- A+, MCITP, ACSP.