The University of Montana
invites applications for a
for the Montana Digital Academy
. This position is responsible for overseeing the
business operations for the organization, and serves as the
organization’s financial and human resource link between the
Montana Digital Academy (MTDA) and the University of Montana (UM)
Business Services, Budget, and Human Resource Services Departments.
The Budget Data Manager is responsible for the supervision of one
(1) classified staff member working as an Admin Associate within
The Business Manager provides the direct development and oversight
of the business operations and data management facets of the
Montana Digital Academy. This position performs critical fiscal
responsibilities including developing the annual and biennium
operational budgets with monthly updates to the MTDA Governing
Board as well as the biennial budget projection which is submitted
to the Montana Legislature to secure funding of the MTDA.
Key duties and responsibilities of this position include:
- Develop, monitor, and review MTDA program budgets as requested
- Prepare budget/expenditure reports
- Provide technical and analytical support to administrative
staff relating to budgets, revenues, receipts, and cash flow,
provide cash flow projections
- Maintain accounts receivable records working closely with the
Program Coordinator to ensure accurate and timely invoicing;
oversee the process for depositing checks; reconcile receipts to
accounts receivable reports
- Use MTDA Student Information System to run reports, prepare and
maintain enrollment and demographic data as requested/needed;
prepare historical data reports
- Coordinate with the MTDA Assistant Director to prepare all
aspects of the MTDA teacher compensation process each semester
- Review and process all authorized invoices, travel
reimbursements, and other payment requests through GrizMart;
prepare Purchase Orders as needed/required. Ensure timely entry to
the automated GrizMart system.
- Process annual Electronic Communication Device Allowances
- Process bi-weekly payroll through GrizTimeOnline payroll
system. Maintain timesheet/payroll records
- Review and interpret monthly UM Banner financial reports and
develop the monthly financial report for Board approval
- Ensure proper accounting and approval of expenditures for all
programs and maintain a system of internal control procedures
- Serve as the business manager for ProCard applications,
expenditure distributions and reconciliations through Banner
- Prepare Journal Vouchers
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports for
all MTDA programs and grants
- Possess overall understanding and implementation UM/MTDAs
financial accounting system, procedures, and practices
- Attend UM financial, human resource, and budget office meetings
to keep informed of accounting, budgeting, and human resources
changes, requirements, updates, etc.
- Assist administrative staff with U-Approve hiring
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to
the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are
particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad
spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in
demonstrating its five priorities for action
: Place student
success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation
in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of
“mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly
tell the UM story.
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, Letter of Appointment and
includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package,
mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness
- Salary for this position is $65,000 per year commensurate with
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting and financial principles
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to build and maintain working relationships with MTDA,
UM, and locals school district staff.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 365 and Google Workplace
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and
draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement projects.
- Ability to utilize technology for data collection and
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision while
maintaining high-level quality work and output.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, results-oriented
- Ability to keep up with changes in technology used to implement
About UM and
the Montana Digital Academy
- Three to five (3 – 5) years of experience working in
governmental accounting and/or local school district finance.
The University of Montana is flagship, research institution with
more than 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located
in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000,
surrounded by mountains and three rivers converge. Abundant
recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national
forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National
Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere.
Montana Digital Academy (MTDA) is the statewide digital online
school for the State of Montana. Created by the Montana legislature
in 2009 in Statute 20-7-1201 which authorized its creation and
located it at the University of Montana. The purposes of the MTDA
- Make distance learning opportunities available to all
school-age children through public school districts in the state of
- Offer high-quality instructors who are licensed and endorsed in
Montana and courses that are in compliance with all relevant
education and distance learning rules, standards, and policies;
- Emphasize the core subject matters required under the
accreditation standards, offer advanced courses for dual credit in
collaboration with the Montana university system, and offer
MTDA and the University of Montana have established a unique,
one-of-a-kind partnership, among the 36 statewide online schools
across the United States. MTDA is the only state online program
that is a part of a College of Education at a major
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the
State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of
In accordance with University policy, finalists for this position
will be subject to criminal background investigations.
Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for
persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available
in alternative format upon request. As an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications
from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may
request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with
*References not listed on the application
materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the
Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to
administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential
E mployment Eligibility.
All New Employees must be eligible
and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of
employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Sunday, November 21,
Applications received by this date will be guaranteed
consideration. Application review will begin after date above and
continue until the position is filled.
Please submit the following application materials via "New
Resume/CV" button below.
*Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per
application. Please combine documents accordingly.
- Letter of Interest – addressing the stated required
skills for the position
- Detailed resume listing education and describing work
- Three (3) professional references - Names and contact
Montana, United States