The University of Virginia Office of University Communications
a Social Media Specialist to help our team create and manage
compelling and engaging social media content and campaigns in
support of the University's key priorities. Reporting to the Social
Media Director, the Social Media Specialist will provide support
for the implementation of the unit’s social media strategies and
communications plans. This position will help produce content and
oversee day-to-day programming on the University’s primary social
media accounts, including on Facebook
, and others.
Typical duties include, but are not limited
Other duties include:
- Collaborating with Content & News, Creative and Marketing
teams to create high-quality content for our social channels.
- Contributing to, and following an editorial calendar for, key
social media initiatives to provide fresh and engaging
- Maintaining a distinct voice and tone for the University’s
primary social media accounts.
- Assisting with campaigns to reach diverse audiences including
but not limited to prospective and current students, alumni,
donors, faculty, staff, affiliated and unaffiliated friends,
advocates, sponsors, and partners.
- Planning the development and implementation of select social
media campaigns that align with marketing programs, product
launches, brand efforts and other initiatives – including
deployment of paid and organic approaches and content
- Providing assistance in managing online reputation by
monitoring news and trends in social media for potential
reputational threats and providing support in addressing
- Utilizing social media tools and applications to monitor trends
and use insights gained for content strategy.
Required Education and
- Tracking and analyzing campaign and post metrics to ensure
goals are met, and that social media activity is clearly linked to
- Utilizing analytics tools to develop reports as needed for use
in meetings, proposals, etc.
- Occasionally sharing of best practices to colleagues,
stakeholders, and other social media professionals in our
department and throughout the University.
Skills and Competencies:
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Advertising, Public Relations,
Communications, English, or related field with at least three years
of related professional experience.
- Proven, professional track record in the development of social
media marketing strategies and programs.
- Demonstrated understanding of social media channels including
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, and TikTok.
- Experience with copywriting and editing to ensure accurate and
engaging copy with consistent tone, look, and voice.
- Demonstrated versatility in writing styles, including social
media posts, short pieces for the web, and marketing copy.
- Basic familiarity with social media management platforms and
analytics reporting, e.g., Facebook Insights and Sprout
Excellent writing, editing, presentation, and
communication skills. Must be able to self-proofread for quick
turnaround of clean, accurate content.
- Creativity and big-picture thinking with confidence to pitch
- An early adopter of new media, social trends, and
- An eye for design, and some experience with design software,
e.g., Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, Canva, etc.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a
collaborative communications team.
- Desire to grow and be challenged within a team.
- Cover letter and resume
- Three references
- Links to digital portfolio or other attachments/documents that
provide examples of content, stories, projects, etc., that
represent work that reflects your direct management or
It is our privilege to tell the remarkable and
evolving story of the University of Virginia. We are writers,
artists, strategists, communicators and administrators, proudly
celebrating, promoting and publicizing UVA’s iconic reputation,
accomplishments and history. Visit our website
to find an overview of
our latest work, an introduction to our team and further
Anticipated Hiring Range:
to $62,000, commensurate with experience
This position will remain open until filled. This is
an Exempt level, benefited position. This position will not sponsor
applicants for work visas. The University will perform background
checks on all new hires prior to employment. For questions about
the position or the application process, please contact Daniel
Strong, Senior Recruiter at email@example.com.