The Sr Payroll Specialist performs the essential processing and
auditing steps in the production of assigned Biweekly and Monthly
payrolls. Additional processing includes: taxable moving expenses,
weight watchers’ deductions and wellness incentives, other taxable
gifts, California payroll, wire transfers for international
employees, housing allowances, cell phone allowances, and overtime
calculations for employees with multiple positions. This position
will also act as backup for Payroll Specialists, Staff Accountant
(wires for tax payments and retirement contributions), Garnishment
processing, and Payroll Manager (as assigned). This position
handles wage inquiries related to Workers Compensation,
Unemployment claims, and prepares and submit the DC Labor Report.
This position will review payroll data to ensure compliance with
federal and state regulations and university policies and
procedures. This position requires strict adherence to critical
deadlines. This position requires interaction with the HR delivery
teams, managers, supervisors and employees within their respective
areas of assignment across the university.
- Perform the essential processing and auditing steps in the
production of assigned Biweekly and Monthly payrolls. Process and
record all special, manual, voids and replacement checks. Verify
accuracy of requests. Ensure checks are posted to positive pay
system at the bank. Print, prepare and distribute produced checks
- Prepare the Transit (Metro check) and list for processing each
month and distribute to Specialists. Provide Parking report to
Specialists every Monday for processing.
- Research, resolve problems concerning faculty, staff, and
students earnings and deductions while maintaining confidentiality
required. Calculate and submit various accounting and payroll
adjustments such as separation/termination payouts, retroactive
payments, multi-job overtime, short term disability and other
miscellaneous type payments. Interact with other departments for
precise and punctual payments. Respond to customer inquiries via
email, phone or in person. Prepare gross up calculations as
requested. Prepare payroll analysis sheets for customers. Monitor
and answer customer inquiries from Payroll email inbox. Prepare and
process EAP loan requests and any other monthly reports that may be
- Assist in auditing all payroll data entered for each payroll.
Includes reviewing of electronic time sheets or leave reports
submitted for accuracy and compliance with university policy and
procedures, verifying accuracy of tax forms submitted and entered
and ensure compliance with legislation, checking for accuracy of
direct deposit and other payroll deduction set ups and changes.
Each month load bank checks cashed file to payroll system to show
all cleared checks. Back up Specialists’ processing in their
- Provide backup for Payroll Operations Manager with running key
payroll processes such as payroll CALC, leave audit and special
check processing. Update leave accruals for each payroll. Backup
the Staff Accountant-Payroll in preparation of tax and retirement
payments or creation of journal entries as needed.
- Prepare and file quarterly DC Unemployment reports and
payments. Review and analyze benefits being paid for accuracy
- Responsible for unclaimed property and final reporting to
Controller’s Office. Requires staying abreast of checks that have
been held in Payroll Office.
- Assist with preparation and distribution of year-end W-2
reports. Organize/alphabetize tax forms, direct deposit forms, time
sheets and leave reports for filing.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- 35 hours a week. May sometimes be required to work overtime to
finish payroll processes
Required Education and Experience
- Full time
- Coordinator/Analyst B
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in business administration,
accounting or other relevant field
- 2-4 years of relevant experience
- At least 3 years of related work experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree
- Accounting background
- Experience leading/coordinating the work of junior payroll
- Demonstrated experience using an automated payroll system is
- Must be proficient in all facets of payroll processing for
Biweekly and Monthly payrolls.
- Critical and analytical thinking, oral and written
communications and customer service skills.
- Proficient knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting
Principles (GAAP) for payroll, benefit, and audit purposes.
- Must strictly observe confidentiality of information.
- Knowledge of word processing, and spreadsheet software
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful
completion of a background check.
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires
COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn
more about our health and safety directive.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit
Current American University Employees:
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive listing thisof activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for job. Duties,
responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at
American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU
portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which
will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University
careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action
institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and
regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal
appearance, gender identity and expression, family
responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran
status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases
under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its
programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: