Open Until Filled (Review of Applications will begin 11/17/21.
Applications received after that date may be considered.)
On Campus Only Promotional Opportunity
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF UNIVERSITY COMMUNICATIONS (Administrator
Salary Range (From $ to $)
Salary commensurate with background and experience of the
individual selected. (Anticipated hiring range: $130,000 - $140,000
Number of Positions
Full-time/part-time (if part-time, indicate time base)
M80 - Management Personnel Plan
Hours Per Day
8 hours during the school year / 10 hours during the
Days Per Week
5 days during the school year / 4 days during the summer
The Executive Director of University Communications ( UCOMM ),
reporting to the Vice President for University Advancement ( VPUA
), leads Chico State’s strategic communications. The incumbent
leads a team of communication professionals and works
collaboratively with communicators and leadership across campus to
tell stories and share successes of Chico State’s students, alums,
staff, and faculty. Guided by the University’s mission and
strategic priorities the UCOMM Executive Director manages the Chico
State visual and brand identity overseeing centralized
publications, marketing, media and public relations, web and social
media, design and creative services, reputation and crisis
communication, and strategic communication initiatives within
University Advancement, the incumbent works closely with the VPUA,
AVP for University Development and other senior management to plan
and shape communications for the division. Campaign communications
are a critical component of this role. Additionally the UCOMM
Executive Director provides communication leadership and expertise
to the University’s executive team, which includes the President,
Cabinet, Deans, and other senior leadership. The incumbent will
provide leadership to the executive communications function,
including speeches and other communications from the University’s
President and other senior administrators.
For a full description of job duties, please visit: https://csuchico.box.com/v/VA1529-Position-Description
MANDATORY VACCINATIONS :
As of September 30, 2021, the CSU requires all faculty, staff, and
students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized
against COVID -19 or have received a medical or religious
exemption. Selected candidates should be prepared to comply with
this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
. Questions can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(staff and management positions) or email@example.com
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Thorough knowledge of:
- Standard theories, practices, principles, and techniques
related to marketing, public relations and communications.
- Media outlets such as print, television, and radio, and
web-based, digital and social media, including planning media
coverage and media publicity campaigns for the University and
- Copyright and other applicable laws pertaining to publications
and the media.
- Web, digital and print communication techniques, vehicles and
- Marketing and communications research techniques and
- Management principles, practices, and techniques.
- Effective supervisory practices and techniques,
employee-employer relationships, and the management of
- Strategic planning and goal setting, and project management
necessary to monitor progress and time lines.
Working knowledge of:
- Protocols and institutional etiquette related to public and
- Summary statistics as they relate to research or sports
- The principles of planning, management, and directing a
- Organizational development and administrative, and fiscal
- Applicable software packages such as Microsoft Outlook, Word,
Excel, InDesign and Adobe Photoshop.
- Computer literacy and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
programs and spread sheet programs especially Excel, as well as
willingness and an ability to learn additional computer software
- Fluent in the use of standard office equipment (computers,
copiers, phones, fax).
Incumbent must possess the following:
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including strong public
speaking, listening and interpretive skills, to develop and
maintain relationships within the University, community and with
the media and other key constituents.
- Exceptional editorial skills with a solid foundation in
grammar, spelling, and the composition of various communication
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills to produce
clear, concise and nuanced content for internal and external
- Outstanding management and leadership skills.
Must have the ability to:
- Build and manage sophisticated relationships among various key
constituencies including media contacts and community leaders.
- Keep abreast of and become an expert in campus and higher
education events and trends to identify and capitalize on
opportunities that will promote the University and increase brand
- Keep abreast of public policy and public affairs issues.
- Effectively use digital, print and web technologies to achieve
- Analyze and select pertinent facts and integrate them into
- Apply market research to identify communication needs and
- Apply appropriate statistical techniques and methods to
research and assess marketing and communications work output.
- Work with multiple partners including the media for coverage of
- Appropriately handle sensitive and confidential
- Learn, interpret and carry out responsibilities in accordance
with University policies, procedures
- Provide vision, motivation, leadership and guidance to faculty,
staff, and volunteer leaders.
- Manage and motivate staff and volunteers and to work closely
with faculty and senior-level administrators
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships as a
leader and a team member, with a diverse population of faculty,
staff, students, and a variety of stakeholders, donors and
- Develop new skills that promote professional growth and
- Adjust to change in a positive manner (e.g. work environment,
- Function cooperatively and productively as a member of a
- Conduct business with integrity and openness.
- Perform assigned duties.
Required Education and/or Experience
Requires a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
5 years of progressively responsible experience in
communications/public relations, two will demonstrate a level of
management and leadership experience.
Additional Requirements for this Position
Preference may be given to applicants with the following as they
may be considered specialized skills:
- An advanced degree.
- Experience in a higher education setting.
- Experience with large scale media communications.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
- California State University, Chico, in accordance with CSU
policy, requires that the successful candidate complete a
background check (including a criminal records check, sexual
offender registry check, and/or fingerprinting) prior to assuming
this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the
background check may impact the job offer or continued employment
of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified
as sensitive. This position is considered a sensitive position
based on CSU guidelines.
- The person holding this position is considered a “Limited
Mandated Reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect
Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set
forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 (revised July 21, 2017) as a
condition of employment.
- This position is a Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations
Act ( HEERA ) designated managerial position and comes under the
Management Personnel Plan ( MPP ) of the California State
University. Individuals appointed to management positions serve at
the pleasure of the President or designee. They are excluded from
the collective bargaining process, are not subject to probationary
service, and do not receive tenure or permanent status. This
position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor
Standards Act ( FLSA ).
- The duties of this position will include participation in a
decision that may have a material/financial benefit to the
incumbent. Therefore, this is a “designated position” under the
California State University’s Conflict of Interest Code and the
incumbent will be required to file a Form 700: Statement of
Economic Interest and is subject to the regulations of the Fair
Political Practices Commission. (Public Affairs Director (all
levels)/ CAT -02)
- Serve as a member of the Emergency Operations Center
Incumbent/applicant will need to be able to perform the essential
job functions (duties) of this position with or without reasonable
accommodation. This position alternates between remaining in a
stationary position operating a personal computer for long periods
of time and frequently moving about inside the office. Must be able
to travel across campus to other offices and buildings for meetings
WORK ENVIRONMENT :
This position involves frequent to constant interaction with
students, parents, guests, faculty and staff. The office is a
typical office environment with standard office equipment. At
times, is a fast-paced environment requiring a flexible schedule.
Early morning, evening or weekend hours may be required, as needed
to travel and complete work, projects or reports. May occasionally
work outside and locations may include even and uneven walking
surfaces, exposure to weather changes such as temperatures,
humidity or precipitation. This position also requires travel.
This position qualifies for benefits including tuition fee waiver
CSU, Chico offers a number of benefits to its employees (e.g., sick
leave, vacation, health insurance). Eligibility for standard CSU
benefits is based on an appointment of half-time or more for a
period exceeding six months. Employees appointed less than
half-time or less than six months are not eligible for standard CSU
benefits but do receive prorated sick leave and vacation.
Eligibility for Affordable Care Act ( ACA ) benefits is based on an
appointment of at least three-quarter time, hired to work a minimum
of 130 hours per month over the course of the appointment or works
an average of 130 hours or more per month during the measurement
period. The ACA guidelines provide for health coverage or FlexCash
only. ACA does not provide dental or vision plan coverage.
About the University and Community
California State University ( CSU ), Chico is a comprehensive and
residential public University, holding Hispanic-Serving Institution
( HSI ) designation and operating as part of the 23-campus CSU
system. The University enrolls over 17,000 students from diverse
cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds, with over half
identifying as first-generation college students. Graduate and
undergraduate programs boast high-quality research experiences,
exceptional faculty mentoring, and civic and global engagement
opportunities. The campus motto, “Today Decides Tomorrow,” is
brought to life by inclusive pedagogy, experiential learning, and
co-curricular programming. The Chico Experience prepares students
to be critical thinkers, engaged citizens, and inspired stewards of
environmental, social, and economic resources. Together, they will
become leaders solving the challenges of the 21st century.
The campus is located in Northern California, 90 minutes from the
state capital, Sacramento, and a three-hour drive from San
Francisco Bay Area. A safe residential community, Chico offers
year-round natural beauty, outdoor leisure activities, and a
thriving arts, music, and events scene. We acknowledge and are
mindful that CSU, Chico stands on lands that were originally
occupied by the first people of this area, the Mechoopda, and we
recognize their distinctive spiritual relationship with this land
and the waters that run through campus.
CSU, Chico is committed to recruiting outstanding candidates who
reflect the diverse, intercultural, and intersectional identities
of our student body. The ideal candidate will embrace our values
predicated on the primacy of student success and the elimination of
achievement gaps, have demonstrated experience working with diverse
populations, and will contribute to policies, programs, and
activities that support an inclusive, accessible, and equitable
learning and working environment.
The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not
discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color,
ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender
identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition,
National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status,
or any other protected status.
Open Date (posting open date)
Close Date (posting close date)
Open Until Filled
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please summarize your increasingly comprehensive
communications experience, with special focus on the educational
(Open Ended Question)
- * Administrative leadership may have limited experience in
communications yet want to direct marketing and communications
strategy. How do you balance their interests and perspectives with
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe what you see as the communications challenges
faced by public institutions of higher education.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Why do you think branding is important in higher education,
and what is your experience implementing a marketing and
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Optional Applicant Documents