Woodbury University invites applications
for Dean of the School of Media, Culture, & Design. The Dean of
the School of Media, Culture, & Design serves as the academic
and administrative leader of the School of Media, Culture, &
Design (MCD) at Woodbury University. The dean works with the
faculty, administrative staff, and students in ensuring the MCD
programs meet high standards of academic excellence. The
School of Media, Culture & Design offers bachelor’s degrees and
MCD is in the process of establishing a master’s degree
program. MCD operates with eight academic departments:
Animation and Visual Effects, Media Studies, Design Foundation,
Fashion Design, Filmmaking, Game Art & Design, Graphic Design,
and Psychology. The Dean reports directly to the Sr VP of Academic
Affairs and serves as a key member in the President’s Cabinet.
Mission | The School of Media, Culture, & Design brings
together multiple avenues of inquiry that produce the critical
skills and knowledge needed for students to excel in their chosen
discipline. We prepare students to live in the global community as
innovative problem-solvers and to work in its wide variety of
cultural industries as fully creative, critically aware, and
socially responsible individuals.
Vision | The School of Media, Culture & Design seeks to
provide profound educational experiences through inspiring faculty,
curricula, and facilities that will prepare the next generation of
creative professionals, bridge our disciplines, allow students to
collaborate to solve problems from multiple perspectives, and
ultimately transform themselves and society.
This position qualifies for University sponsored employee
benefit plans and programs (e.g., group health insurance, life
insurance, tax deferred annuity plan, annual vacation, sick, and
paid holidays), subject to the eligibility requirements and
conditions of each plan and program.
About Woodbury University
Woodbury University, where engagement, innovation and
transformation empower people to accomplish extraordinary things!
Established in 1884 as a small, private, nonprofit institution,
Woodbury University today is located at the heart of the Southern
California creative economy, where it is a major draw for students
locally and globally, who wish to gain access to a rich ecosystem
of expertise and resources. Please follow the link to learn
more about Woodbury University: https://woodbury.edu/about/about-woodbury/facts-and-figures/
- Works with the faculty of the School of Media, Culture, &
Design in establishing the vision, mission, and strategic
directions for the programs and units housed in the school.
- Supports the interaction of MCD faculty and students with the
other WU schools to provide interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary
- Ensures the operations and performance of MCD comply with the
standards of the Western Association for Schools and Colleges
(WASC) and the National Association of Schools of Art & Design
- Ensures the activities of MCD support the teaching, research,
and service missions of the school and the university.
- Advocates for the needs of MCD programs including curriculum,
facilities, and faculty.
- Provides leadership in developing and implementing the
strategic initiatives of MCD.
- Supervises associate deans, chairs, faculty, and staff in the
School of Media, Culture, & Design.
- Ensures appropriate search processes are completed prior to
recommending specific candidates for full-time faculty positions to
the Sr VP of Academic Affairs.
- Provides input into the full-time faculty evaluation process
operated by the Woodbury University Faculty Association.
- Ensures the establishment and implementation of an MCD-based
performance-evaluation process for all classifications of adjunct
- Coordinates input into the annual WU budget-development
process, identifying and compiling the requests and needs for
personnel, operations, equipment, and capital improvements to
support the needs of MCD programs, students, faculty, and
- Oversees the budget of MCD programs and activities.
- Ensures the establishment and periodic revision of the MCD
School Policy Handbook consistent with the policy on “School Policy
Handbooks” established by the Faculty Senate in Spring 2009.
- Ensures compliance with the guidelines, process, and procedures
established in the MCD Policy Handbook.
- Participates in the development of university-wide academic
policy through the Deans’ Council and President’s Cabinet.
Curriculum and Program
- Ensures that the development of new programs and courses plus
the revision of existing programs and courses are consistent with
the strategic directions of the university.
- Works with faculty to ensure that program review processes
assess the ability of the MCD academic programs to meet their
specified mission and goals.
- Participates in university-level leadership as a member of the
President’s Cabinet and as a member of the Deans’ Council.
- Provides leadership in developing and implementing the
strategic initiatives of Woodbury University.
- Working with the President’s Office, supports the fundraising
and development functions of Woodbury University by developing
strong connections to national disciplinary organizations, local
and national industry and governmental organizations, and
individuals who may serve as potential donors.
- Avoid conflicts of interest in which financial or other
personal considerations may compromise, or give the appearance of
compromising, the allocation of professional time, energy, or
judgment in administration of the duties of
- Terminal degree in an academic field related to the programs
housed in MCD.
- Demonstrated success administering academic programs as a
department head or equivalent.
- A record of teaching, research, and service that meets the
qualifications of a senior faculty rank.
- Demonstrated success planning and managing budgets.
- Proven experience of new and existing student enrollment
- Demonstrated commitment to shared governance.
- Effective communication skills.
- Earned doctorate.
- Academic administrative experience above the level of
- Demonstrated successful experience with programs accredited by
- Demonstrated success with grants and contracts.
- Successful fundraising.
- Demonstrated success in new-program development.
- Demonstrated record of support for interdisciplinary and
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without
reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
- Close vision, hearing/listening, and clear speech.
- Manual hand/fingers dexterity.
- Combination of sedentary work, kneeling, stooping, bending,
sitting, squatting, standing, etc.
- Works with/around and has verbal and face-to-face contact with
APPLICATION: Review of applications will
begin immediately and remain open until filled. Submissions must
- Letter of interest that explains how the candidate meets the
- Current resume/CV which lists educational and employment
- Contact information of at least three (3) references
- Diversity Statement (1 page maximum)
- Portfolio of publications, research and/or professional work
(10 pages, maximum)
All application materials must be submitted through
the Woodbury University Job Board.
Email applications and submissions on third party platforms will
not be considered.
Woodbury University is dedicated to celebrating
diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for
all employees. Woodbury University is an EEO/AA institution
committed to multicultural diversity in its peoples and programs.
All employment decisions for all job classifications will be made
on the basis of such factors as education, character, ability,
skill and training, without regard to race, religion, color, sex,
age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender
expression, national origin, political orientation, disability,
veteran status, marital status, parental status, genetic
information, membership or non-membership in any lawful
organization, or any other protected status.