The Assistant Director for Colgate’s Entrepreneurship and
Innovation programs collaborates closely with colleagues and
volunteers to create a supportive learning environment around
innovation and entrepreneurship. With direction from the Director
of Entrepreneurship and Innovation programs, and in close
collaboration with the Alumni Director of the Thought Into Action
Incubator and Accelerator, the Assistant Director person has a
critical role in the planning, implementation, and support for
entrepreneurship and innovation programming, particularly Colgate’s
Thought Into Action incubator and summer accelerator.
The position manages program operations and communications for
innovation and incubation-based initiatives and fosters an
environment that promotes creativity and accountability while
prioritizing inclusion to advance student learning and programmatic
outcomes. The role works primarily with student participants, and
alumni and parent volunteers, but also engages with staff, faculty,
and local community members.
Learn more about Colgate University and the Dean of the College
Division by reviewing A
Candidate’s Guide to Colgate
Reporting to the Director of Entrepreneurship and Innovation
programs, the Assistant Director, Entrepreneurship and Innovation
is a student-centered professional who executes on program
management, operations, and communications within the context of
entrepreneurship, innovation, and creativity at Colgate. This new
role is positioned to work within the emerging Middle Campus
Initiative for Arts, Creativity, and Innovation, which envisions a
cross-departmental collaborative approach between academic and
co-curricular areas, as well as the co-location of creative
departments into new and revitalized spaces on campus.
Specific Accountabilities include:
Program Design, Implementation, and Execution
- Assist with and often take a lead role in the planning,
implementation, and assessment of programming related to innovation
- Develop program curricula in collaboration with the Director.
Execute on workshops and programs, collaborating with alumni
presenters to achieve target learning outcomes.
- Design assessments to measure student learning in
- Manage all program communication with participants and
- Develop and execute recruitment plans for programs. Field
inquiries from students interested in programs and resources.
- Advise students and support their creative and entrepreneurial
development. Work with students to identify their goals and plan of
approach, assist to introduce new innovative frameworks, and assist
students to problem-solve through challenges
Divisional and University Engagement
- Maintain strong communication with alumni and parent volunteers
and donors who serve in a variety of roles including: mentoring
student entrepreneurs, presenting workshops, and serving within
application review committees.
- Assist the director in designing and facilitating volunteer
training and onboarding.
- Contribute to a wide array of cross- and inter-divisional
programs in support of the mission of the college in student
- Collaborate with colleagues across the University, including
students, staff, and faculty, as well as community members, to
promote initiatives and assist in bringing projects to
Professional Experience/ Qualifications
The Assistant Director, Entrepreneurship and Innovation position
requires prior experience in one or more of the following areas:
entrepreneurial environment, program design and management, student
advising, and volunteer management. Candidates with a passion for
working on creative, innovative, and evolving programs are
encouraged to apply.
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience required.
- Desire to work with college-aged students and to structure
programs that prioritize student learning and development.
- Comfort in using technology to facilitate program
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Team-oriented with excellent interpersonal and intercultural
- Strong support for diversity, equity, and inclusion, desire to
make an impact in those areas, and documented efforts in ongoing
learning related to DE&I.
- Aptitude for project management, including data gathering and
analysis, strategic project planning, and project
- Experience with marketing and social media is preferred.
- Experience managing volunteers strongly preferred.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have prior
experience studying or working to apply innovation frameworks to
achieve more desirable outcomes (i.e: Design Thinking) or who have
experience thriving within an entrepreneurial environment.
A Bachelor’s degree is required.
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions Summary
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against
any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their
race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin,
marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information,
being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking,
familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is
an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from
historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with
disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.