Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) seeks a temporary part-time
Clinical Counselor to serve as a clinical staff member within
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). This role provides
psychological and counseling services of a preventative and
developmental nature to a diverse population of students in
individual and group formats and is responsible for crisis
intervention and assessing suicidal and homicidal risk. The
Clinical Counselor may provide consultation to parents,
administrators, faculty, and staff.
- Provides counseling services in the form of initial
assessments; crisis appointments; and individual, group, and
couples psychotherapy to students.
- Using RISD’s EMR system, prepares documentation of services
provided. Ensures record-keeping and clinical services are in
regulatory and ethical compliance and meet accreditation
- May participate in case conferences, psychiatric case
conferences, and staff meetings in Counseling Services.
- Master’s degree in counseling psychology, social work, or
related field required.
- Licensed in the State of Rhode Island as a Social Worker,
Mental Health Counselor, Marriage and Family Therapist or other
mental health clinical license.
- Three plus years postgraduate experience required.
- Ability to work with people from a variety of culturally
diverse backgrounds and a commitment to social justice.
- Demonstrated competency providing clinical services for diverse
clients, including international populations and clients along the
gender and sexual orientation spectra.
- Demonstrated experience providing clinical services for the
wide range of presenting issues seen in college students, including
assessing and managing risk and the treatment of serious
- Demonstrated ability to actively engage in clinical practice
with students in ongoing counseling (with individuals and groups),
in crisis intervention, and in outreach programs.
- Ability to manage a caseload within a time-limited clinical
- Experience in the use of electronic/medical records systems;
must be computer literate.
- In-depth knowledge of college student development theories and
- Ability and commitment to work collaboratively in a
multidisciplinary team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
and college counseling experience with a diverse student
- Experience in a college or university counseling center working
with international students.
- Training or experience with issues impacting international
- Prior experience working with developing artists and designers
in an artistic environment is a plus.
Documents Needed to Apply:
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload
all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our
pre-employment background screening requirements.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its
learning community and integral to an art and design education. We
welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute
to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability,
veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by
For internal use only - Job Family: