Custodial Shift Leader
Seeking a team leader with great interpersonal skills and
This Custodian Shift Leader position covers 2nd shift (2:30pm-11pm)
and assists the Custodial Section Supervisor in transferring work
assignments and information between shift employees, as well as
overseeing the execution of those assignments. A Custodial Shift
Leader will be working as part of a team to help keep staff trained
and inspect work areas to ensure that customer requests are met and
cleaning standards maintained. You'll need stamina for this role as
most of your time will be spent on your feet. Apply today if this
active evening position sounds like something you'd enjoy!
- Coordinates, assigns, and oversees the work of custodians on
various shifts. Oversees the completion of custodial work
assignments including inspecting work areas. Coordinates labor and
custodial support to ensure customer requests are met and cleaning
standards are maintained. Provides input to Custodial Section
Supervisor on areas needing improvement and recommended coaching
for custodial staff not performing to standards.
- Stores, mixes, transports, applies, uses and disposes of
various custodial cleaning materials and supplies in accordance
with Safety Data Sheets, the Hazard Communication Program and
manufacturer instructions. Conducts recurring training for safety,
material safety data sheets, hazardous communication, winter and
summer safety, and equipment and supply use/operation. Recommends
training topics to supervisor and assists in conducting
- Uses judgment and makes independent decisions regarding daily
work activities. Negotiates changes and resolves conflict as
- Communicates and relays information and requests from Custodial
Section Supervisor to custodial staff.
- Works as a team member with others in providing custodial,
housekeeping and other general labor services throughout
- Performs housekeeping services to include stripping and making
beds, restocking paper products, restocking of soap dispensers,
removal of trash and recycling materials, and connecting and
disconnecting room telephones.
- Performs minor facility repair and preventive maintenance
tasks, and reports necessary repairs, damages, charge back damages
and maintenance requirements.
- Immediately reports accidents, injuries, security violations,
stolen or missing items, and safety hazards and conditions to an
available supervisor. Checks fire extinguishers, fire alarms and
emergency lights as required.
- Responsible for the proper safekeeping of master keys. Opens
and locks doors as required.
- Performs outside custodial services around
- Augments outside labor crews by performing routine maintenance
of grounds and plant beds.
- Adheres to OSHA standards, employs safe practices, and follows
- Uses PPE in a safe manner, sets examples for others, notifies
supervisor of potential hazards, and demonstrates good housekeeping
- Supports and promotes the University's sustainability
- Performs other duties as assigned in support of University
operations and special events.
- 3 years of custodial or housekeeping experience
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- Demonstrated ability to understand oral and written
- Customer service oriented attitude.
- Detail oriented and demonstrated ability to take
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as
effectively part of a team.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and
- Experience operating and training others on the proper use of a
variety of custodial manual and motor driven tools and
- Demonstrated willingness to learn and use University's ERP
systems, email and the work order/facility maintenance software
- This staff position is classified as part of essential
services. This individual is required to report to work even if
campus has a delayed opening, early closing, or is closed, unless
instructed otherwise by a supervisor or when the individual has
concerns related to their personal safety.
- Prior supervisory or team leader experience.
- Bends, kneels, stoops, pushes, pulls, reaches above and below
shoulders, lifts and carries objects up to 25 pounds unassisted;
assists others in moving objects greater than 25 pounds as needed;
climbs and works on stools, ladders, stairs and elevated platforms
with training and safety equipment. Must use proper safety
equipment for hearing, head, eye, feet, hand and body protection as
- Must be able to lift and carry a minimum of 25
- Daily exposure to dust, dirt, cleaning detergents and
chemicals, odors, body fluids and waste, weather and temperature
To apply, visit https://careers.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/496880/custodial-shift-leader