Custodian - 2nd shift
Seeking team players with great interpersonal and stamina!
Our Custodians work to make sure that our buildings are neat,
clean, free from clutter and safe. They spend their days picking up
trash, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, or using industrial cleaning
equipment to clean floors, stocking bathrooms, making sure
buildings are secure, cleaning windows, and doing some minor
building maintenance and repairs. While the majority of custodians'
work is inside buildings, sometimes work might involve some outside
work, like setting up for a Bucknell event. Our Custodians need
great interpersonal skills and will need to be comfortable working
independently as well as part of a team. Apply today if this active
position sounds like something you'd enjoy!
There are Monday through Friday 2nd shift positions, one with a
schedule of 1:30p-10p and the other is 5p-1:30a. Some weekend work
is required. These positions are full-time and benefits
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Checks fire extinguishers, fire alarms, eye wash stations, and
emergency lights as required.
- Operates and maintains a variety of manual and motor driven tools
and custodial equipment
- Responsible for the proper safekeeping of master keys; open and
locks doors as required.
- Stocks and maintains custodial supply closets, rooms and
- Immediately reports accidents, injuries, security violations,
stolen or missing items and safety hazards and conditions to an
available supervisor. Adheres to OSHA standards, employs safe
practices, and follows safety policies/procedures. Uses cleaning
materials and supplies in accordance with Safety Data Sheets (SDS),
the Hazard Communication Program and manufacturers' instructions.
Uses PPE in a safe manner, sets examples for others, notifies
supervisor of potential hazards, and demonstrates good housekeeping
- Works independently, uses judgement, and makes decisions
regarding routine custodial, housekeeping services, general
maintenance, and repairs of buildings and equipment.
- Communicates effectively and assists customers by responding to
their requests for special setups for classes, meetings, deliveries
and events to include large scale events and complex event
- Works as a team member in providing custodial, housekeeping and
other general labor services throughout campus.
- Supports and promotes the University's sustainability
- Demonstrated ability to understand oral and written
- Customer service oriented.
- Detail oriented and demonstrated ability to take
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work independently, as well
as part of a team.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
This staff position is classified as part of essential
services. This individual is required to report to work even if
campus has a delayed opening, early closing, or is closed, unless
instructed otherwise by a supervisor or appropriate time off is
approved by a supervisor.
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- Prior work experience that includes some duties of a physical
nature such as manual labor, custodial, housekeeping, maintenance,
- General knowledge and skills related to institutional
housekeeping and maintenance work, with some relevant
commercial/institutional cleaning experience.
- Demonstrated ability to perform basic skills on computers for
communication and training.
- Bends, kneels, stoops, pushes, pulls, reaches above and below
shoulders, frequently lifts and carries objects up to 25 pounds
unassisted; occasionally lifts items up to 50 lbs that may require
help or adjusting loads, assists others in moving objects greater
than 25 pounds as needed; climbs and works on stools, ladders,
stairs and elevated platforms with training and safety equipment.
Must use proper safety equipment for hearing, head, eye, feet
(full-time safety shoes), hand and body protection as
- Daily exposure to dust, dirt, cleaning detergents and chemicals,
odors, body fluids and waste, weather and temperature
To apply, visit https://careers.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/496877/custodian-2nd-shift